Project What's Their Last? v2 [Week 24: Voting phase]

Congratulations Steel With It for winning this week with your Empoleon submission. The original Pokemon was in fact Empoleon, to help with the Latias + Scizor match-up while providing an answer to Primarina. The most important factor being the Defog support which you all noticed this team lacked. Thank you Scizorphobic (aka the worst best co-host) for providing last weeks squad and keep it up everyone you are doing great! I want to change up the team archetype a bit from BO and Balance, so I'll be the one submitting the team for this week. Get your stall thinking caps on ^^
Steel With It - 3
Estarossa - 2
Sickist - 2
Smallsmallrose - 2

Here is the team being featured for Week 9:

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Frustration
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Protect
- Soft-Boiled

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog

Alomomola @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Haze
- Recover

"I built this stall team around Mega Altaria thanks to its amazing typing and the utility it can provide with Heal Bell. I opted for Flamethrower to ease the match-up against Scizor and other steels. Blissey is very standard on stall as a SpD wall, I opted for Protect to scout and reduce Z-move dmg from stuff like Celebi. Gligar gives me an answer to fighting types like Terrak and Coba, and gives me Defog support. Alo gives wish support for the team and checks Scizor and Maero etc. Finally Quag as the unaware user so I don't auto lose to some set-up sweepers. What's my Last?"

Get your submissions in by Wednesday guys ^_^​

reserving Stakatakatakataka
also lowkey screw you twilight for making me think about stall

hw0100_trikbrik_white_panelshot.jpg
Stakataka @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

At this point, it's basically standard to have a steel type on every team, and this team is no exception. The team also lacked a Stealth Rocker, as well as a check to CM Psyshock variants of Latias, among many other things. Stakataka also checks Moltres, and can scout with Protect. Overall, Stakataka slides in the last slot quite well and makes this depression-inducing stall build work.

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
EDIT: Didn't notice the lack of rocks until after doing this, (probably forgot blissey didnt have them) but can't yet find a single rocker that would deal with a majority of the above threats other than putting rocks on one of the two mons in team. May edit if I can find one, but atm it seems to be a choice between a whole host of stallbreakers beating you or rocks idk.

From looking at team so far briefly, I see some pokemon which the team will have real trouble dealing with,

Hoopa - sub nasty plot in particular.
Reuniclus - energy ball versions run through this team.
Haxorus - swords dance in particular is very threatening as it forces altaria to constantly be at full hp lest the whole team lose to it, DD isn't such a threat however as altaria can easily stomach +1 pjabs.
Togekiss - nasty plot naturally tears through the team.
Xatu - calm mind stored power xatu's running grass coverage instead of dazzling gleam will 6-0 this team.
Slowbro - block bro can't really be stopped by this team as far as i can see.
Celebi - Nasty plot celebi is still a problem if the protect bait doesn't work on blissey, and is still a threat to rest of team without z if blissey is gone.

Hydreigon @ Dragonium-Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Roost

Hydreigon really helps to patch up most of these matchups vs the specific sets mentioned. It will always outspeed SD haxorus to get the revenge kill, while altaria will deal with DD fine. It is able to stop no dazzling gleam xatu and energy ball reuniclus happily, and can stop hoopa's sweep as long as the sub is already down. It also is able to kill slowbro, and thanks to cleric support can get rid of potential toxic's it may take from it. It will also deal with non dazzling gleam celebis, but won't help vs ones running it.

It also helps deal with hazard setters, gives a second answer to non-superpower crawdaunt, provides a secondary knock off sponge, and improves the matchup vs vincune. While it doesnt have the coverage to kill togekiss, it's able to make it's life harder with taunt. Chosen taunt over defog here to help deal with vincune, stallbreaker togekiss, hazard setters and for other utility.

Last edited:

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
bronzong but bad.gif

The team needs a steelie and a rocker. sounds like a job for zong. The team had an incredibly sketchy matchup Vs. CM Lati and Togekiss, since they literally fucked this team over. Who stops those? You guessed it, ZONG!
Bronzong @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Last edited:

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Counter
I see no rocker or Mega Steel, so I figured Registeel would be a good fit. Helps the team against Lati, can help against Celebi, Can also handle refresh Mega Altaria with counter. Counter also lets it battle physical breakers that do great damage to it. And it can just be a general steel nuisance that can set rocks, which the team lacks.

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
EDIT: Didn't notice the lack of rocks until after doing this, (probably forgot blissey didnt have them) but can't yet find a single rocker that would deal with a majority of the above threats other than putting rocks on one of the two mons in team. May edit if I can find one, but atm it seems to be a choice between a whole host of stallbreakers beating you or rocks idk.

From looking at team so far briefly, I see some pokemon which the team will have real trouble dealing with,

Hoopa - sub nasty plot in particular.
Reuniclus - energy ball versions run through this team.
Haxorus - swords dance in particular is very threatening as it forces altaria to constantly be at full hp lest the whole team lose to it, DD isn't such a threat however as altaria can easily stomach +1 pjabs.
Togekiss - nasty plot naturally tears through the team.
Xatu - calm mind stored power xatu's running grass coverage instead of dazzling gleam will 6-0 this team.
Slowbro - block bro can't really be stopped by this team as far as i can see.
Celebi - Nasty plot celebi is still a problem if the protect bait doesn't work on blissey, and is still a threat to rest of team without z if blissey is gone.

View attachment 174006

Hydreigon @ Dragonium-Z
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Roost

Hydreigon really helps to patch up most of these matchups vs the specific sets mentioned. It will always outspeed SD haxorus to get the revenge kill, while altaria will deal with DD fine. It is able to stop no dazzling gleam xatu and energy ball reuniclus happily, and can stop hoopa's sweep as long as the sub is already down. It also is able to kill slowbro, and thanks to cleric support can get rid of potential toxic's it may take from it. It will also deal with non dazzling gleam celebis, but won't help vs ones running it.

It also helps deal with hazard setters, gives a second answer to non-superpower crawdaunt, provides a secondary knock off sponge, and improves the matchup vs vincune. While it doesnt have the coverage to kill togekiss, it's able to make it's life harder with taunt. Chosen taunt over defog here to help deal with vincune, stallbreaker togekiss, hazard setters and for other utility.
I'm sorry, Xatu? That's viable now?

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
I'm sorry, Xatu? That's viable now?
While it is unranked, calm mind + stored power + magic bounce can tear through a lot of stall teams unprepared for it, requiring either hazing or powerful attacks to take down. Depending on the choice of giga drain or dazzling gleam in 4th move however it either loses to hydreigon or to quagsire, as quagsire cannot utilise haze to beat it if running grass coverage. It also obviously offers you a reasonably bulky magic bounce user (but nowhere near sableye levels).

Mygrein

Banned deucer.
The coolest rocker, a neccesary rocker/steel type that walls latias even though blissey does too, but psyshock wouldnt hurt this snek too much. Has good synergy with the other mons while reliably setting up rocks with wish passing and can also sweep games. Also snek

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Curse

Last edited:
Congratulations Smallsmallrose for winning this week with your Registeel submission by a landslide. The original Pokemon was in fact Stakataka, but I really like this suggestion for helping the Celebi match-up even more. Well done everyone for submitting I really loved these suggestions and thank you for trying this week out with a different archetype than usual. If anyone has teams they would like to submit for future weeks do pm either me or Phobic.
Smallsmallrose - 5

Here is the team being featured for Week 10:

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Shadow Sneak

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Body Slam
- Defog
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Latias @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Recover
- Refresh

Cobalion @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

"I built this team around Umbreon and Doublade as they help each other out a lot. Umbreon providing wish + cleric support. Doublade covering its weakness to fighting and fairy types in return. Defensive Altaria as another dark resist as well as being a Defog user. Stored Power Latias is a wincon that greatly eases the stall match-up thanks to refresh. Cobalion provides another check to Bisharp and Scizor while giving me rocks. What's my Last?"

Get your submissions in by Wednesday guys ^_^​

Estarossa

moo?
C&C Leader

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Immediately looking at the team, there is a massive weakness to primarina, with 3 weaknesses to it and only one resist (who has very low spdef), with Umbreon also essentially lets primarina in for free everytime it comes in. With 2 steel types already, amoongus seemed a better option than empoleon, and blissey seemed inappropriate w hen umbreon is already on team.

While amoongus doesn't like specs psychics, there are multiple psychic resists on team who can take advantage of primarina being locked into it.

It also offers a back-up check to altaria so that the pressure isnt on doublade to deal with it, and offers some extra help against opposing doublades, since umbreon switching in on a sacred sword is risky. Spore is also helpful utility that can help teammates set up if the right target is slept.

Last edited:
since Scizorphobic loves this mon apparently, as well as Estarossa taking the only good submission imo, I'm gonna go ahead and post it:

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Bullet Seed
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

While not ranked as of yet, Ferroseed still checks Primarina for the team, can give a pseudo wish with Leech Seed support, which also wears things down, and sets spikes as well. Not as great as a last as Amoongus, but it works in fixing around the same issues Amoongus did.

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover​

Primarina is as mentioned above me let in for free by Umbreon but it appears that Fightinium Gengar is also a serious threat as once it’s behind a Sub, it clicks buttons for free and this team relies too much on revenging it with Doublade and Umbreon is left to be 2HKOed by All Out Pummeling+Focus Miss. Luckily, Gastrodon eases that matchup up for this core with its Special Defense and checks Primarina. Gastrodon also blocks Volt Switch to prevent the opponent’s precious momentum.

Snorlax @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Return
- Recycle
- Fire Punch
Here's my own last minute submission, Snorlax also eases the Primarina matchup by avoiding the 2HKO from its Hydro Pump. It can also handle Gengar as long as you properly scout out Fightinium Z with recycle or a switch. It appreciates a number of the team's members, such as Umbreon's heal bell, Cobalion and Altaria's ability to absorb Knock Off, as well as having 3 separate fighting checks in general. I chose fire punch on this Lax to further ease the Scizor matchup, which still looked a little bit obnoxious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)