CAP 8 CAP 8 - Concept Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
I'm absolutely shocked that Mold Breaker is allowed. It is a wonderful ability because it allows for physical heavyweights to ignore Intimidate and pressure. Earthquake can now easily take down the likes of Rotom, Bronzong, and Gengar. It also ignores damage from a very painful but underutilized ability Rough Skin. It also ignores possible Static parylization and Poison Point. To contradict its listing, Rampardos can take very good use of it by EQ-ing the likes of several aforementioned Pokemon.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm absolutely shocked that Mold Breaker is allowed. It is a wonderful ability because it allows for physical heavyweights to ignore Intimidate and pressure. Earthquake can now easily take down the likes of Rotom, Bronzong, and Gengar. It also ignores damage from a very painful but underutilized ability Rough Skin. It also ignores possible Static parylization and Poison Point. To contradict its listing, Rampardos can take very good use of it by EQ-ing the likes of several aforementioned Pokemon.
Building a better Rampardos might be something for an EVO project. As of now Rampardos is pretty much the perfect example of why Mold Breaker is an offensive ability (Pinsir also).

Although you are incorrect on Intimidate. Mold Breaker does not stop Intimidate from dropping your attack score.

Some people seem confused about Mold Breaker. It is not an auto Gastro Acid, it does not ignore abilities. It simply allows moves to hit Pokemon it couldn't have otherwise due to an ability. ie Earthquake -> Levitate Surf -> Water Absorb.

That's it.

edit: DK beat me to it.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
I guess I misunderstood a little, but I would like to see Mold Breaker on an Electric, Water, or Fire type to see them ignoring Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, and Flash Fire. Rampardos can learn moves from all of these types but has a very poor Special Attack, thus not taking it to a full extent. The additions of the elemental punches and Aqua Tail are big breaks for the extremely powerful Rampardos and could turn things very interesting in the metagame.

I guess I had forgotten about Pinsir, though it doesn't fit my description as well as Rampardos and Cranidos.

Even if CAP8 ends up with competency to use any of the absorbable elements, I can't see it being of much use as Vaporeon, Jolteon and Heatran, for example, already resist the attacks they'd absorb. EQ hitting levitators would be cool, but is kind of one-dimensional for a concept that is based around an ability.

Speaking of EVO, wasn't that supposed to start near the end of the last CAP?

edit2: about Heatran, my bad!

ghost

formerly goldenghost
LC Leader
Actually, Heatran does not because of its Steel type, but you make a good point.

Even if CAP8 ends up with competency to use any of the absorbable elements, I can't see it being of much use as Vaporeon, Jolteon and Heatran, for example, already resist the attacks they'd absorb. EQ hitting levitators would be cool, but is kind of one-dimensional for a concept that is based around an ability.

Speaking of EVO, wasn't that supposed to start near the end of the last CAP?
Actually, heatran takes neutral from fire, but other then that, you're right that the absorbing pokemon won't be made any less useful by a mold breaking pokemon.

That would be pretty cool, with Heatran no longer being able to switch in on will-o-wisp. I mean, if our poke even ends up with moldbreaker and will-o-wisp. Cool to think about nonetheless.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Heatran can still switch in on WoW - Can't burn a Fire type.

Trace however, would be better, as Heatran needs to think twice about Fire Blasting it. It also means that should you encounter something such as Salamence, they may need an extra DDance or you've renderd their Choice Band useless.

Since it's time for the Ability Discussion to begin, it seems that this thread has served it's purpose. There has been some very good discussion, and the list that is currently in the OP will be the final list. Great job everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)