Creative (and good) Movesets (READ THE OP FIRST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I do see the merit in keeping your set more creative.
I agree with you, I just wanted to mention that point. You cant always switch into Ferrothorn, which you had mentioned because if it Power Whips on switch then dugtrio would die.

The point of Rock Slide wasn't as much for the secondary effect(which is nice) but moreso for the increased amount of PP. Having a move with 8 PP as your only attack could easily detract from your sweep, as you could easily be forced into Struggling. Rock Slide would help to alleviate this problem.

EDIT: This is for the slash, not saying to use it over EQ

easily stalled out*

ok i have one more set... and theres a bit of a story behind this. i'm a facebook battler by nature.... i mean i use the battle finder here, and pokemon showdown along with PO.... however those are just the people i talk with most. and so i posted "Hey! i can probably make a set out of just about any fully evolved pokemon that can have a shot in OU. any challenges are accepted." someone posted i should make a garbodor set. and ill admit.... its not EXTREMELY great in OU, and you kind of have to go out of your way to make it work, but you sure as hell can. i did a few battles with it effectivle, however i imagine its better in UU or RU... i dont actually have any of these on my channel, sorry... i pretty much hate EVERY 5th gen pokemon. all of them. but i accepted this challenge before i knew what i was getting into, so here you go

Garbodor (M) @ Chesto Berry Trait: Stench
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Recycle
- Curse
- Gunk Shot

so the idea here is max special defense to take some special hits. this is one of the flaws though, as even with max special defense, its not all that great for this. however a lack of a super strong special attacker can let this guy go. but lack of special attacker normally means a defensive team... and a defensive team normally means steel types. either way its lose.

so you switch him in on something that just likes to scald, due to him not caring about status, and scald being weaker. then proceed to curse until rest is needed. after you rest, immediately use recycle to get your chesto back. proceed for more curses or until your satisfied. phazers can really be a pain in the neck here, but OU doesnt see them much so its whatever. using this guy is a gamble anyway. once you have enough curses or whatever, gunk shot.

Of course you can replace gunk shot with something else, as gunk shot has only 8 pp, low accuracy, and steel types are immune, greatly hindering the ability to sweep. however gunk shot is what i eventually went with. garbodor doesnt really have any physical moves and an extreme lack of any for that matter. in fact, i think gunk shot was the only move worth using AT ALL.

I agree with you, I just wanted to mention that point. You cant always switch into Ferrothorn, which you had mentioned because if it Power Whips on switch then dugtrio would die.

The point of Rock Slide wasn't as much for the secondary effect(which is nice) but moreso for the increased amount of PP. Having a move with 8 PP as your only attack could easily detract from your sweep, as you could easily be forced into Struggling. Rock Slide would help to alleviate this problem.
yea, i know the more pp... 8 has been a problem sometimes. but with 700 attack that allows for a 2hko on 2 pokemon, while the rest have to be ohko. sometimes its manageable, but people often using both scizor and ferro on a team REALLY messes this up. so extra pp would definately be nice

the problem however is that if dugtrio isnt going to reliably 2hko everything (break sub first turn, second turn die) with rockslide, that would be a problem. and im afraid steel types just might be able to only be 3hko'd.

if your not afraid of this, sure i guess rock slide could be used.... but i prefer meh earthquake lol.

Skarmory is very high in usage and it COMPLETELY walls the garbador set. It is first of all immune to your only attacking move, Gunk Shot and it can phaze you out. plus any smart player would just set up spikes on you and then wait for the rest to phaze you out so you lose your ability to recycle making him complete dead-weight because lets face it; it's a garbador... It is an interesting concept however it is about as useful as a level 1 magnemite with recycle and oran berry.

as i said, the garbodor set take a little bit of help to be able to work, and its still iffy. but its possible. but yes i know of phazing and setting up on it. i never said it was perfect, i just said its an interesting set allowing garbodor to do a bit more than entry hazards

if anyone is interested in seeiing dugtrio actually do work, im uploading ANOTHER video with it right noww. just check my channel below in my signature, it will be battle number 25. its uploaiing atm so if you see this near the time of the post it wont be there, but in an hour or so it will :D most of my recent videos have dugtrio in it too, so check those out as well.

Here's a Pokemon with a great movepool and amazing stats, only held back by that bum we know as Ferrothorn.

BLASTOISE @ Leftovers
252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 HP
Quiet/Bold Nature
Torrent/Rain Dish

-Surf/Scald
-Rapid Spin
-Ice Beam/Toxic/Aqua Jet/Foresight
-Yawn/Dragon Tail/Haze/Protect

This is a great set, with a hard-hitting STAB, the coveted Rapid Spin, status and phazing. The awesome part about ol' Blasty is his versatility. He can dish out fairly powerful hits with the first move, eliminate entry hazards with Rapid Spin, hit hard with better coverage, wear out walls, revenge kill, or make spinblockers spinnable with the third moveslot. The fourth moveslot is for picking your fights.

Underestimated Pokemon overall.

Here's a Pokemon with a great movepool and amazing stats, only held back by that bum we know as Ferrothorn.

BLASTOISE @ Leftovers
252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 HP
Quiet/Bold Nature
Torrent/Rain Dish

-Surf/Scald
-Rapid Spin

This is a great set, with a hard-hitting STAB, the coveted Rapid Spin, status and phazing. The awesome part about ol' Blasty is his versatility. He can dish out fairly powerful hits with the first move, eliminate entry hazards with Rapid Spin, hit hard with better coverage, wear out walls, revenge kill, or make spinblockers spinnable with the third moveslot. The fourth moveslot is for picking your fights.

i do like that set. i dont think id ever use aqua jet or foresight though. not dragon tail either. he doesnt seem like the best kind of hazer either.... and i REALLY like the move haze. just lack of recovery makes haze hard to pull off. yawn does a good job but it kinda interferes with toxic or scald, whichever route you want to go with that. protect is nice as it gives a little more recovery to him. i think with this id eventually go

-Scald
-Ice Beam
-rapid spin
-yawn

in fact i may even switch out ice beam for protect.

BLASTOISE @ Leftovers
252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 HP
Quiet/Bold Nature
Torrent/Rain Dish

-Surf/Scald
-Rapid Spin

That "ol' guy" is stopped cold by Taunt Jellicent with enough Spe invenstment of course. Tentacruel also has a better typing being able to absorb TS on entrance.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Utility

LeftoversTorrentBoldMovesetEVs~ Rapid Spin
~ Scald
~ Toxic/ Foresight
~ Roar/ Dragon Tail
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
This is the set currently posted on the smogon strategy dex.

The only difference between that set and the above set are a few errant slashed moves, none of which are even all that good on blastoise, and the slashed rain dish, which is the only major change, and that's because you're using it in OU, which makes no sense because tentacruel does what it does so much better. There's changed Evs, but that's generally not a great idea in the first place, as you almost always want to max HP, then go from there. Yes, blastoise has better physical bulk, but tenta not only absorbs t-spikes, but can lay them down. Foresight is also nice, but really, not that great either.
To summarize: Mixed-def evs, rain dish, and a few slashes, are the only changes to the set. It's not really much better than tentacruel in most ways. So, not really good OR creative. Can someone explain to me the rationale for posting this set?

tehy

Banned deucer.
Which means... it isn't good. And if it's essentially a copy of a UU set, with slight changes, then it's really not original either. For god's sakes, this is the set that first shows up if you click blastoise in the dex, too. The fact that it's technically not an OU set doesn't mean it should be posted.

Delko, since i can see you're viewing this, give me your two cents. Am i right?

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!
@tehy - Is your comment meant for me? I am agreeing with you on all your points, I wanted it to be noted that it shouldn't be used in OU as it was rejected, as I assumed that the set was meant for OU considering the UU analysis is basically a replica of this.

My intention was to show that someone has thought of using it in OU before, and that the person who posted the set here could have taken the time to do some searching before posting. It seems 50% of the sets posted here recently are on the analysis pages already or in locked/outdated, and people don't even search first to check for similar sets.

Choice Specs Mew
Mew @ Choice Specs
Trait: Synchronoise
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam / Psychic

This set is not meant to be a sweeper, but rather an anti-weather lead/lure. It's especially useful for sun teams. Physically defensive Politoad (252 HP/252 Def/4SpDef Bold) gets OHKO'd by Thunder %62,5 of the time, and SpDef TTar (252 HP/192 SpDef Sassy) gets OHKO'd by Focus Blast %37,5 of the time. More offensive variants are flat out OHKO'd, while Chople TTar and SpDef Politoad get only 2HKO'd.

Not many people expect a set like this, so you can grab surprise KO's. Things like SpDef Jirachi, 252 HP Latias and SpDef Tran are cleanly 2HKO'd. Physically defensive Jellicent/Vaporeon are OHKO'd with rocks (small chance to OHKO Jellicent without). Offensive Latios, Hydreigon, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, Toxicroak, Conkeldurr etc are OHKO'd with the appropiate move.

I also used Expert Belt, and it was a good end-game cleaner, but the drop in power is noticable. Importantly, you cannot OHKO 252 HP Politoad and SpDef TTar without Specs, which is one of the main selling points of this set.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wanted it to be noted that it shouldn't be used in OU as it was rejected,
Just pointing out that simply because a set was rejected, does not mean that it should not be used in OU. A prime example was the Ninetales (Sunny Day) set which was originally rejected, and then then people realised how good it was, people kept using it and now it has a place in the analysis. In a personal example, I ran a DD Lapras in OU with a large degree of success (peaking at around 1400 after of which I usually get bored and go off to test something else) so just because something got rejected does not mean that it should not be used because "its not good".

Choice Band Crobat

Crobat @ Choice Band
Inner Focus
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def, Adamant

Brave Bird
Cross Poison
U-turn
Zen Headbutt/Super fang(?)

What is the most under appreciated typing in OU? Flying. I can only think of about 3-4 pokes that resist it which is used commonly enough. Most steel types people use have a second typing which is weak to flying, be it grass, bug, fighting, whatever. With these EV's and nature, it gets up to 459 Attack and 359 Speed. Out pacing anything under base 115+nature.
Brave Bird is the move used mostly, and although it does hit itself, it hits so hard that it doesnt matter. There isnt a game yet that i havent got a kill with this thing. Cross poison is obviously a STAB move and U-Turn is for scouting. The last move, Zen Headbutt, i havent used yet, and it can be a filler really, maybe Super fang for things like Jirachi, Heatran, etc etc.

tehy

Banned deucer.
The main thing crobat has over staraptor, the main flying CB'er, would probably be super fang, other than the speed and the surprise factor. So i'd give it that, zen headbutt mainly hits the same things brave bird does in any case. Can we think of a better move other than cross poison?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Choice Band Crobat

Crobat @ Choice Band
Inner Focus
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def, Adamant

Brave Bird
Cross Poison
U-turn
Zen Headbutt/Super fang(?)

What is the most under appreciated typing in OU? Flying. I can only think of about 3-4 pokes that resist it which is used commonly enough. Most steel types people use have a second typing which is weak to flying, be it grass, bug, fighting, whatever. With these EV's and nature, it gets up to 459 Attack and 359 Speed. Out pacing anything under base 115+nature.
Brave Bird is the move used mostly, and although it does hit itself, it hits so hard that it doesnt matter. There isnt a game yet that i havent got a kill with this thing. Cross poison is obviously a STAB move and U-Turn is for scouting. The last move, Zen Headbutt, i havent used yet, and it can be a filler really, maybe Super fang for things like Jirachi, Heatran, etc etc.
Choice Scarf Adamant Staraptor hits 446 Atk when using Brave Bird (because of Reckless) and when using other moves it hits stronger because of higher BP of other moves (Return/Double-Edge>Cross Poison, Superpower>Super Fang, U-turn is used for the effect not for the power) and hits 448 Speed with a Scarf.

So Crobat vs Staraptor is 448 vs 459 Atk and 448 vs 359 Spe in terms of stats, which means that Staraptor is clearly superior due to higher Speed and same power, while in terms of coverage Staraptor is 10 times better than Crobat.

So there is literally no reason to run Crobat over Starpator as a choice user, except if your team badly needs a Fighting resistance.

Can we start getting actually original in this thread?
Anyway, here's something I've been using.
Wobbuffet @ Culbur Berry
52 HP / 252 Def / 204 SpD
Bold; Shadow Tag
-Counter
-Mirror Coat
-Encore
-Safeguard

So why should I use this? I don't even get lefties recovery! But you do get something else. This set lets you survive an attack from ANY unboosted weather starter. This included CB Tar's Crunch and Specs Toed's Hydro Pump! I personally used it on my old sun team to get rid of other weather starters. The only thing this set really has trouble with are starters who don't attack immediately. Examples are Toxic Poli, WoW Ninetales, etc. Mixed Tyranitar can also be troublesome because he'll make you predict which move to use.
Encore and Safeguard are just for fillers :P They have some use, although not much.

Choice Specs Mew
Mew @ Choice Specs
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam / Psychic

This set is not meant to be a sweeper, but rather an anti-weather lead/lure. It's especially useful for sun teams. Physically defensive Politoad (252 HP/252 Def/4SpDef Bold) gets OHKO'd by Thunder %62,5 of the time, and SpDef TTar (252 HP/192 SpDef Sassy) gets OHKO'd by Focus Blast %37,5 of the time. More offensive variants are flat out OHKO'd, while Chople TTar and SpDef Politoad get only 2HKO'd.

Not many people expect a set like this, so you can grab surprise KO's. Things like SpDef Jirachi, 252 HP Latias and SpDef Tran are cleanly 2HKO'd. Physically defensive Jellicent/Vaporeon are OHKO'd with rocks (small chance to OHKO Jellicent without). Offensive Latios, Hydreigon, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, Toxicroak, Conkeldurr etc are OHKO'd with the appropiate move.

I also used Expert Belt, and it was a good end-game cleaner, but the drop in power is noticable. Importantly, you cannot OHKO 252 HP Politoad and SpDef TTar without Specs, which is one of the main selling points of this set.
Cool set. I'm surprised SpecsMew is not mentioned at all in the analysis, not even in 'other options'. Anything is possible with Mew, and a specs set coming from a reasonable SpAtk and Spe pokemon seems like a given. The only problems I see is that it's a little reliant on weather, and is pretty bad pursuit bait. Other than that, seems like a good idea.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Choice Specs Mew
Mew @ Choice Specs
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam / Psychic
Have you thought about possibly using Volt Switch over Thunder? This could decrease your dependency on weather and gives Mew the ability to provide momentum. This could also help to relieve Mew's weakness to being pursuit trapped and allows Mew to act as a bulky pivot (even uninvested 100/100/100 defenses is really nice). I would also recommend Aura Sphere over Focus Blast, as Aura Sphere never misses while Focus Blast misses 30% of the time. With Choice Specs the power difference shouldn't make too much of a difference versus Pokemon like Tyranitar.

EDIT: Focus Blast's low accuracy can easily cause problems with crucial misses(Focus Blast isn't even guaranteed KO) while aura sphere is much more consistent

tehy

Banned deucer.
Well, it already can't always KO spdef tar, so i don't think cutting its power by a quarter would be a great idea.. Thunder/volt switch is interesting, volt switch won't KO politoed outright but has cool scouting implications. An interesting idea would be grass knot and volt switch, with grass knot as the last move. That still gives great power versus politoed, while having scouting power. It does force you to sacrifice a STAB move or dragon-killer, though.

Lucky Star - Jirachi
Jolly
Leftovers
252 atk / 252 spe
- Fire punch
- Drain punch
- Substitute
- Zen Headbutt

Great set. Sub for predicting switches. Fire punch for ferro, mamoswine, or even bronzong. Drain punch for blissey, and an option over wish. Substitute is good for blocking t-wave and other statuses. Scarf users and pokes faster than Jirachi are a problem but having a scarfer ike hydreigon, Landorus and others eases Jirachi's problems.

I also noticed this very Jiirachi set got banned from VGC 2012 too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)