RoyalReloaded

!
is a Top Tiering Contributor
MPL Champion
op stolen from Danny
approved by Monotype Forum Mods
beautiful art by IMakeNoSense

Monotype Teambuilding Workshop

- Have a one paragraph description with the core / Pokemon you want us to build around and a slight idea of what kind of team you want the end result to be.
- Do not post asking us to make use of unviable Pokemon (a.k.a. not on the Monotype Viability Rankings). This is not a competition to see how good we are at teambuilding; this is us trying to educate people on what is good and how to build effective teams.
- Do not flame people for asking for a certain Pokemon or that they can't build one themselves.
- Each user is allowed one request per week and any user found requesting multiple will have their post deleted
- Please remember that these teams are first drafts and as such will not be perfect. Edit them as you please.
- On that note, you are free (and highly encouraged) to suggest and post changes / critiques you've made to already posted teams that you feel improve them.
- Please refrain from posting teams unless you are an "employee," but if you feel that you would be a valuable asset to the construction of a certain team, PM me.
- Do note that requests for teams built around mons that are below C rank (and unranked) are not allowed as they are generally less viable mons in the tier (C rank is still allowed)

1. Be knowledgeable regarding the Monotype tier and the current metagame
2. Provide evidence demonstrating your skills as a builder (RMT Team Showcase, examples of successful teams, etc.)
3. ~A paragraph in length describing how you build / what playstyle you are best at building (offense, stall, or balance, to be precise)
You must clearly demonstrate to the hosts that you deserve consideration as a builder. If you do not provide enough useful information to successfully enable us to judge your suitability for the position, your application will be declined.

Note: If you wish to become a member of the Workshop staff, please send the hosts a forum (or discord @ royal264) PM containing an application that follows the format below. Bear in mind that demand for builders will fluctuate based on the volume of requests and the activity level of the Workshop's current staff.

You're also welcome to include exact sets that you would want.

Announcements:
  • The Workshop does not accept requests including Pokemon undergoing suspect testing.
  • ACCEPTING BUILDER APPLICATIONS!!!

Last edited:

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Requesting a Slowbro team for mono-psychic. I noticed that it was B rank in the VR and would like to see what makes it so effective in the format despite the loss of teleport with no replacement unlike its royal cousin (and by extension, I have no vision for the team - go ham in the builder as long as the end product contains the pink salamander :psyglad:).

RoyalReloaded

!
MPL Champion
Requesting a Slowbro team for mono-psychic. I noticed that it was B rank in the VR and would like to see what makes it so effective in the format despite the loss of teleport with no replacement unlike its royal cousin (and by extension, I have no vision for the team - go ham in the builder as long as the end product contains the pink salamander :psyglad:).
will do this later tonight or tomorrow :)

TheRealBigC

I COULD BE BANNED!
Cool thread. In all of my extensive time spent SV Monotype gaming, I have still barely touched Fire. Therefore, I would like to request a Fire team built around Hisuian Arcanine. Hisuian Arcanine is a mon that I feel has a lot of potential on Fire as a late-game cleaner due to its incredibly powerful dual STABs, but I have yet to find a team comp that I really like with it. I think a Scarf set on a sun team may be the best use of it, but I will leave the final team comp entirely to the discretion of the builder. I have yet to explore it on weatherless, so it may also work there. Thank you :blobnom:

Arase

Banned deucer.
Cool thread. In all of my extensive time spent SV Monotype gaming, I have still barely touched Fire. Therefore, I would like to request a Fire team built around Hisuian Arcanine. Hisuian Arcanine is a mon that I feel has a lot of potential on Fire as a late-game cleaner due to its incredibly powerful dual STABs, but I have yet to find a team comp that I really like with it. I think a Scarf set on a sun team may be the best use of it, but I will leave the final team comp entirely to the discretion of the builder. I have yet to explore it on weatherless, so it may also work there. Thank you :blobnom:
pokepaste; https://pokepast.es/41c6ab66589875cb

team reasoning:

:ninetales: ninetales is a pretty cool mon rn, it has healing wish support, its a fine scarfer for speed control and sets sun, i think this is a better choice than torkoal for the simple reason that ninetales is not passive, it has the power to either attack under sun or support the team with healing wish or memento to setup ogerpon or ceruledge easier anytime so it doesnt easily loses momentum like torkoal does
:ogerpon-hearthflame: oger is a pretty strong mon to deal with bad matchups, mold breaker makes sure unaware is not an issue so a good sword dance can easily break through teams, its also a cool way to deal vs dragonite since mold breaker ignores multiscale and play rough will always kill after a SD
:arcanine-hisui: arcanine is the breaker of the team + a priority mon when situations gets dire, a choice banded flare blitz can do wonders vs fat teams
:ceruledge: ceruledge has been a beast since it got poltergeist, pretty easy to setup too thanks to the focus sash and healing wish support from ninetales
:talonflame: talonflame makes sure the hazards stays away, torkoal gets blocked by ghosts and cinderace can be countered by clicking rocks twice lol, flame body is also very nice in this economy so overall i think its a mon u need
:volcanion: volcanion is the water immunity, i dont have much to say about it aside u rly need it in general, its a pretty annoying mon to deal with

RoyalReloaded

!
MPL Champion
Hello! I'm happy to share the finished version with you: https://pokepast.es/a6a39f6bddcab309

The Slowbro set was provided by Attribute. The idea behind the set is that it is very strong into flying, which is a great type in the meta right now.
Psychic doesn't have any hazard control aside from Hatterene, so Scream Tail is here to keep teammates healthy with wish.
Hoopa is an incredibly deadly Physical wallbreaker, it is also possible to trick choice band to unsuspecting Pokemon and completely cripple them.
The Jirachi set was provided by Neko. It outspeeds Adamant Mamoswine, and Body Slam is used instead of Thunder Wave because of the amount of Ground-types running around.
The Mew set was also provided by Neko. The set helps deal with Kingambit and Chien-Pao, as a +2 Vacuum Wave has a 93% chance to OHKO 252 HP 0 SpD Kingambit.

Here are a few replays I got with the team:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9monotype-1962380332-k9qb2otfkscp90g4aro8pen076lo9agpw
This first replay shows the defensive prowess of Scream Tail and how it can keep itself and other teammates healthy with Wish

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9monotype-1962399814-vvltmmowxsbnqbk8t16khvwk7ek1eu5pw
This replay shows how effective Gallade can be with the proper support. Since I was able to remove Meowscarada's Choice Scarf, Gallade was able to outspeed all members of the other team. A bit of positioning with Mew also allowed me to take a KO with Vacuum Wave which won me the game.

Of course, feel free to make any adjustments that you see fit. We hope you enjoy the team!

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
I really want to have a Fire team using Armarouge in the builder for when I need to cheese ladder with stored power shenanigans. The composition totally up to the builder but sunless probably fits the best.

don't ban Gliscor, please mushamu

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
I really want to have a Fire team using Armarouge in the builder for when I need to cheese ladder with stored power shenanigans. The composition totally up to the builder but sunless probably fits the best.

don't ban Gliscor, please mushamu
Meowdy,

:ogerpon-hearthflame: :torkoal: :Armarouge: :rotom-heat: :infernape: :iron-moth:

Here's the final team, we talked about this in PS on how we came about most of the team, but I can explain it again.

:armarouge: Is a cheesy mon that has the funny weakness policy set to go brr against fire's weaker matchups, including Poison (too bad I forgot to save it, but it really scrubbed the Poison team when Muk Knocked Off Arma LOL), Fighting, Flying, and Ground. Taunt is here so that you can setup on Gliscor and Clodsire, which would rather Toxic you than attack you.

:rotom-heat: For a successful Arma sweep, we need dual screens as its bulk is middling. Discharge can be Overheat to deter Grounds, but since most grounds eat up due to sheer bulk (or they're Great Tusk), I think having an extra move to create para is better.

:ogerpon-hearthflame: Is the sweeper from the Phys side, which deals with Quagsire, Blood Moon Ursaluna, and provides the right balance of speed and breaking power as we smack Walking Wake and Landorus. Trailblaze is nice so that we can go brr and clean stuff. Knock Off is an option if you feel Ghosts are too overbearing against this team.

:torkoal: Is the sun setter I ended up with, as Heatran is quite difficult to fit in the team. The given EV spread lets you live a Power Gem from Choice Specs Flutter Mane and OHKO it with Heavy Slam. Eject Pack is used to maintain momentum and get in a sweeper or Specs Iron Moth to go >:D

:infernape: Is the selected Choice Scarf user, dealing with boosted Baxcalibur, Flutter Mane, and Kingambit (with Mach Punch). Mach Punch is there since Infernape actually dies to +2 Sucker Punch at 5 fallen, so. well. LOL. You can use Thunder Punch or Earthquake if you want to, though. Its notable that we dont really have anything to beat Ceruledge, so there's that.

:iron-moth: Is phenomenal under Sun. Like with Choice Specs, Toxapex cannot swap into you especially if you get the Fiery Dance boost. However, gambling is bad, so you can swap the Fiery Dance for Fire Blast (actually gets the 2HKO, but the gambling is in the accuracy) if you want to. Overheat is nice for nuking Gliscor, as well as most unaware walls (Overheat solidly 2HKO's Skeledirge even if not under the sun). Dazzling Gleam lets you hit Dragons, and Discharge for Water / Flyings.

Here are some replays where the team was used. Here is an alternative (but feels more inconsistent) team, but with Ninetales.

I hope this helps and have fun :blobnom:

Arase

Banned deucer.
Empoleon got a slight boost this gen with roost and competitive but i am not able to fit it in a steel team.If there is any good steel team to make use of it then pls make it.
pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/089275d0fa580d66

team reasoning:

:gholdengo: speed control for the team, can trick annoying mons and it helps in the ghost matchup
:heatran: enough speed to creep the creeper of 218 speed mons like gambit, trapper set to kill annoying mons like toxapex and others, power gem is for volcarona, possible moltres and such
:empoleon: rocker of the team + annoying mon in general with knock and flip turn, surf is good for fire mons and corv since it got competitive u can force the rocks to stay in, the 4 speed evs are needed because its -speed nature so u need to outspeed ursaluna bloodmoon
:corviknight: defogger of the team, standard set p much, the 8 speed evs are for the creepers like kingambit
:kingambit: pretty standard set, i run brick break over low kick because ice can be annoying so breaking aveil is good
:klefki: demon klefki beats fight and dark on its own, without a klefki i think ud get blasted by dark shifu so i love it, speed is enough to outspeed gambit and azumarill so u dont need to worry too much

Arase

Banned deucer.
Hello! Would like to request an offense Fighting team around :okidogi: for laddering
pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/92ecbba266b98de7

team reasoning:

:great tusk: pretty standard set, its the rocker and the spinner for the team, absolute beast of a mon
:urshifu: cheap ass mon, autowin vs ghost and other types, standard set
:iron valiant: there are a few reasons why this thing is scarf and not specs, first of all where its shines the most is in the fight mirror so u want it to outspeed zamazenta and opposite valiant, second of all thanks to trick u can take threats down like volcarona, dondozo and others. destiny bond is also hella funny it can surprise kill possible threats
:okidogi: the defense over spdef is a personal preference, i make it defense because this meta is super physical, also u can send it anytime infront of a zamazenta and start bulking up when they are setup already and ull take 0 damage if ure defensive which is pretty funny how it can easily 1v1 it, i can understand if u prefer to do spdef there to counter more moonblast users but they are pretty rare and even defensive one can atleast take 1 so eh, the speed evs are to outspeed kingambit and azu and the rest is in bulk, i dont think u need anymore than this
:zamazenta: another cheap ass mon, hp evs are for perfect leftovers number then set is usual iron defense sub set, an absolute beast on such a physical meta. PS: i wouldnt make it max def over max hp to get more def for body press because if u give up on hp u wont be able to take any moonblast and also u dont need more defense
:iron hands: the evs are to live 2 moonblast from flutter mane and enamorus, outspeed ursaluna bloodmoon and creepers and rest is on attack to actually damage mons, i dont think u need extra bulk because its kinda useless if ure doing 0 damage to mons

CaptainDaimyo

Love is a rebellious bird that none can tame...
is a Contributor to Smogon
pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/92ecbba266b98de7

team reasoning:

:great tusk: pretty standard set, its the rocker and the spinner for the team, absolute beast of a mon
:urshifu: cheap ass mon, autowin vs ghost and other types, standard set
:iron valiant: there are a few reasons why this thing is scarf and not specs, first of all where its shines the most is in the fight mirror so u want it to outspeed zamazenta and opposite valiant, second of all thanks to trick u can take threats down like volcarona, dondozo and others. destiny bond is also hella funny it can surprise kill possible threats
:okidogi: the defense over spdef is a personal preference, i make it defense because this meta is super physical, also u can send it anytime infront of a zamazenta and start bulking up when they are setup already and ull take 0 damage if ure defensive which is pretty funny how it can easily 1v1 it, i can understand if u prefer to do spdef there to counter more moonblast users but they are pretty rare and even defensive one can atleast take 1 so eh, the speed evs are to outspeed kingambit and azu and the rest is in bulk, i dont think u need anymore than this
:zamazenta: another cheap ass mon, hp evs are for perfect leftovers number then set is usual iron defense sub set, an absolute beast on such a physical meta. PS: i wouldnt make it max def over max hp to get more def for body press because if u give up on hp u wont be able to take any moonblast and also u dont need more defense
:iron hands: the evs are to live 2 moonblast from flutter mane and enamorus, outspeed ursaluna bloodmoon and creepers and rest is on attack to actually damage mons, i dont think u need extra bulk because its kinda useless if ure doing 0 damage to mons
Ty!!

Requesting a hyper-offense ghost team. Members are not super important but I've been having trouble with hazards and some walls. I really like ceruledge scarf and am not particularly into mimikyu orb.
I'll also probably definitely try to fit an oricorio-sensu if I start winning too much with the team, so that might not be good to deliver on that request

Also requesting a really defensive water team with someone from the slowpoke line if double dipping is ok!

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Moar teams:
ground team utilizing ursaluna-bloodmoon that can beat water (rainless < rain < stall)
i wont be unrealistic here but if u can build a ground that beats all 3 that'd be crazy lol but it should at least be able to beat rainless
[Ground] Anti-Water ft. Bloodmoon Ursaluna
:sv/ursaluna-bloodmoon: :sv/sandy shocks: :sv/clodsire: :sv/iron treads: :sv/great tusk: :sv/mamoswine:
Ursaluna-Bloodmoon (M) @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Mind's Eye
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blood Moon
- Earth Power
- Vacuum Wave
- Moonlight

Sandy Shocks @ Air Balloon
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power

Great Tusk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Megahorn
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat

Iron Treads @ Leftovers
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: ground
EVs: 252 HP / 152 SpD / 104 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Rapid Spin
- Heavy Slam

Clodsire (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 212 SpD
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Haze
- Recover

Mamoswine (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
Tera Type: Bug
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
Since the idea was a Ground team that could beat Water consistently, I thought about how to account for the main two threats to Ground as Water, which would be Manaphy and Wellspring Mask Ogerpon. For Manaphy, it's a threat that easily overpowers slower Pokemon due to its incredible wallbreaking potential, and in order to beat it, I would have to use a revenge killer that is faster than it and can either 1. pivot out or 2. OHKO it completely. The only Pokemon on Ground that outspeeds and OHKOs Manaphy is Choice Scarf Torterra, which is incredibly niche and hard to fit, so Sandy Shocks is the next best option. Volt Switch is really good for chipping down Manaphy and other Water-type Pokemon, while it's a good Stealth Rock setter in other matchups, mainly Flying where it can force Corviknight out. For Wellspring Mask Ogerpon, I decided to use Choice Scarf Megahorn Great Tusk, which OHKOs it and can even switch into Ivy Cudgel once. It's the only Choice Scarf user that can OHKO it immediately since otherwise it heals too much HP with Horn Leech. With Sandy Shocks, Great Tusk, and Bloodmoon Ursaluna's incredible wallbreaking potential, Water teams can be beaten through good play especially considering Clodsire with Haze walls a lot of the Pokemon on the type while preventing Manaphy from setting up. In order to switch into Wellspring Mask Ogerpon's Horn Leech consistently after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge, I added 48 Defense EVs on Clodsire to have more defensive counterplay against it. This team is played very aggressively.
- Bloodmoon Ursaluna is a pretty standard Moonlight 3 attacks set and Wise Glasses allows you to OHKO Chien-pao with Vacuum Wave and Quagsire with Blood Moon.
- In order to account for not having a Ground immunity, Sandy Shocks is Air Balloon and allows you to get up Stealth Rock easily.
- Iron Treads is Iron Defense with Body Press to improve the team's matchup against Baxcalibur and the Speed EVs allow it to outpace it while outspeeding Pokemon like Chien-pao and Dragapult after a Rapid Spin.
- Clodsire, Great Tusk, and Mamoswine have fairly standard sets. Choice Band Mamoswine is really good against the top types, mainly Flying and opposing Ground teams.
Hi there! I would request a rain water team that features ludicolo but without urshifu!

Thanks in advance!
[Water] Rain ft. Ludicolo without Urshifu-R
:sv/ludicolo: :sv/pelipper: :sv/manaphy: :sv/quaquaval: :sv/quagsire: :sv/empoleon:
Pelipper (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Drizzle
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn

Ludicolo (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Psychic
- Rest

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

Quaquaval (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Step
- Close Combat
- Roost
- Rapid Spin

Empoleon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Roost
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
With rain Water being traditionally strapped for teamslots, the tricky part about building with Ludicolo is that there's even less room and you have to use even more role compression. A lot of the struggle with this team was figuring out how to fit more than one role in one teamslot, which is seen in the Quaquaval, Empoleon, Manaphy, and Quagsire sets. Pelipper is the face of rain Water, so I added that first alongside Ludicolo. For a while I was considering Politoed because of the role compression of rain setter and specially defensive wall in one slot, but I ended up binning it due to the later edition of Empoleon. Earlier versions of the team had Pokemon like Toxapex, Hisuian Samurott, Walking Wake, Greninja, and Barraskewda incorporated, but they all got scratched for the final version which ultimately offers more role compression. I personally do not like Water without Quaquaval as hazard stacking can be the death of your team, so I added it onto the team with an offensive set compared to the typical defensive sets for extra offensive pressure against types like Dark and Steel. I removed Toxapex for Empoleon because Empoleon provides a lot more role compression than it, being a specially defensive wall that can check a lot of of prominent threats through its typing and has recovery. Alongside Quagsire, it provides the team with a solid defensive backbone to support Ludicolo and Manaphy. Manaphy is a really good Pokemon and breaks every fat team ever in contrast to Ludicolo taking out faster teams and has good longevity with Rest combined with Hydration. This team is played really aggressively.
- Ludicolo has Leaf Storm since it has a good chance of OHKOing Wellspring Ogerpon and Walking Wake, the latter with chip. Surf can be used somewhere on it as a more consistent Water STAB that doesn't get PP stalled as easily, but it is hard to fit.
- Pelipper is defensive because it's the team's main Fighting resist and Grass neutrality while being decently bulky.
- Manaphy is Tail Glow with Psychic to easily break apart Water, Ground and Poison as a result of using Toxapex and Clodsire as complete setup fodder. Rest is used so it doesn't get worn down in longer games.
- Quagsire is a Spikes setter and is good at chipping down types like Ground and opposing Water teams with it.
- Empoleon has Flash Cannon to have a better matchup against Fairy-type Pokemon, while Roar is great for phasing out sweepers like Frosmoth, Hydreigon, and Volcarona.

silver grace insertkoin feel free to dm me or another teambuilder for any questions on the team! I couldn't get any replays of these two teams because I didn't have time to play Pokemon these past few days but I hope you enjoy them :toast:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)