Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Magearna is mandatory on any respectable TR

beyond that pick a TR setting lead like Uxie (or Bronzong I guess)

and a bulky TR setter like Cresselia. Porygon-2 is a momentum drain but if you really dislike cress it's an option.

then you need fellow TR abusers. mega mawile is obvious, tapu bulu and crawdaunt are also very common. i have also seen mega heracross work though i'm not a big fan of it.

if you want anything more PM Sarelya on showdown :^)
Ok appreciate your help

Why is vincune called vincune? What does the "vin" part represent? like with crocune the "cro" part stands for calm mind rest (i think), but none of vincunes moves (scald sub tect cm) start with v, i, OR n, so what does the vin mean!?

OK, this is a n00b question but how do you anti-lead Webs Shuckle / Smeargle or remove those Webs? Smeargle can lose to Mega Lop but Shuckle can't. This makes it very annoying when Bisharp causes so much pressure.

Also, something that can help against those Zard-Y + Duggy teams would be appreciated.

Last edited:
OK, this is a n00b question but how do you anti-lead Webs Shuckle / Smeargle or remove those Webs? Smeargle can lose to Mega Lop but Shuckle can't. This makes it very annoying when Bisharp causes so much pressure.

Also, something that can help against those Zard-Y + Duggy teams would be appreciated.
Defog Kartana

I'll be honest, I haven't seen a Shuckle in ages, but beating Webs for me has always been about removing the hazards later or simply working around the Speed drop. Rain, for instance, features mons that outspeed typical Webs abusers even at -1. TR does not care about Webs at all. Common defensive mons such as Cele / Mew / Lando can pose a serious threat to Webs as well just because of how hard they are to break for certain member of Webs teams. The splashability of Mew in particular allows more teams to run it for hazard removal, and while using Defog into Bisharp is always less than ideal, Will-O-Wisp will catch at least something on the switch, whether or not it's actually Bisharp. You can even set up your own sweepers, like SG Magearna, and win that way. I don't know, on paper Webs is a scary matchup but in practice it is rarely overwhelming.

Zard Y + Dugtrio on the other hand is definitely extremely effective. Something I have used for a while is Mantine instead of Mew as my Defogger, and it works against this core very well. But Mantine has its own problems and Mew is still preferred for many reasons. In general I think you can't rely on defensive answers to this core and you just need to pack something faster than Dugtrio that scares out Zard Y as well. Tapu Koko works in this sense, but like...at the moment it seems impossible to play a game without losing at least 2 mons to this core, and I'm being quite conservative with this minimum.

Why is vincune called vincune? What does the "vin" part represent? like with crocune the "cro" part stands for calm mind rest (i think), but none of vincunes moves (scald sub tect cm) start with v, i, OR n, so what does the vin mean!?
Funny enough, Crocune isn't named after the moves either, but instead named after the user Cromat, who created and popularized it in Gen 3.

So just getting into pokemon. I've played before but never very seriously. Is there a place that explains what hyper offense, bulky offense, stall and balance teams are and how to build each for Sun and Moon? I've never really learned what these type of teams are haha.

So just getting into pokemon. I've played before but never very seriously. Is there a place that explains what hyper offense, bulky offense, stall and balance teams are and how to build each for Sun and Moon? I've never really learned what these type of teams are haha.
Perhaps this might be a good resource, although most of it is from ORAS, the playstyles are still relevant

i don't think there's any 1 place where you can get all this info detailed, but searching through smogon forums and smog articles (via google ofc) will turn up pages that explain things individually, like 'guide to stall in ou.' Finding info on the SM meta specifically is probly a little harder, and your best bet i'd say is to look at Rate My Teams, the Viability ranking thread, and the Metagame discussion thread. but understand that p much everything is contentious and there's a lot of opinion.
my quick highlight's of your specific questions would be
- hyper offense differentiates itself from regular offense in that on HO you don't expect to be hard switching much, if at all, in a game. you have a plan (like webs or dual screens) and you stick to it. HO leads are suicide leads (smeargle, azelf) meaning their job is to get up either entry hazards or screens or both and then die, so they can get a free switch into whoever beats your team (m-pinsir, zygarde, m-medi).

- bulky offense is more adaptable and includes a lot more pivoting, thru volt-turn mons (tapu koko, landot <- u need this mon on every team btw lol, scizor) and shit with regenerator (tangrowth, toxapex) and whatever, bulkier shit (heatran), while utilizing that generated momentum to get one of their hitters in for free and fire something off that you have trouble switching into. then you go to your counter, they pivot again, hazard dmg is taken, etc.

- balance is... some weak shit tbh. does it exist? it's just bulky offense or stall, if you try to run something in between there in SM, you'll get demolished by Z-moves broken megas and dugtrio. if you're gonna build balance you gotta make sure you have a wincon that works in the current climate.

- stall puts up hazards, keeps them off their side of the field, heals, and just endlessly switches into it's counter (it has one for everything basically, chansey, skarmory, clefable, toxapex, zapdos, alomomola, dugtrio, mega sableye) while your mons get whittled away and it's mons just keep healing themselves. There are (afaik) 2 stall teams rn. The sample teams thread i think has both. or like team archive or something.

this is by no means comprehensive or even of guaranteed quality

Here's a another (somewhat outdated) guide about teambuilding, archetypes and stuff.

On another topic, is there some kind of "safe counterplay" against Protean Greninja in general? Since the scarf set became a thing, the only way I've been able to handle it is by either having something with protect, webs, or deliberately throwing a mon hoping it doesn't die due to an Ice Beam/HP Fire/Gunk Shot/Dark Pulse/Hydro Pump/Extrasensory/etc.

Here's a another (somewhat outdated) guide about teambuilding, archetypes and stuff.

On another topic, is there some kind of "safe counterplay" against Protean Greninja in general? Since the scarf set became a thing, the only way I've been able to handle it is by either having something with protect, webs, or deliberately throwing a mon hoping it doesn't die due to an Ice Beam/HP Fire/Gunk Shot/Dark Pulse/Hydro Pump/Extrasensory/etc.
AV Magearna, Celesteela, Gastrodon, Toxapex, M-Venu, Keldeo, Chansey can all pivot and most of them can take a hit depending on the set (hence, "pivot" is such an important word here). The first three can take multiple hits (HP Grass/Grass Knot isn't popular in SuMo as it was in XY) but we warned that the Gren player can suicide Spike on you.

I have a few shiny sludge wave gengars if you need one
oh man thanks for the offer but i usually just play on pokemon showdown. i just play the games for the story :P

also my few friends that do play pokemon aren't living my city anymore so i just battle them online haha

Reactions: DMj

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)