CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 4

How much Base Stat Total should our new Pokemon have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
When it 2HKO's your common counters, Icy Wind is game breaking. Gliscor and Salamence deserve to stay on the counter list. Gothic Togekiss already showed that with 70 SAtk and no EVs it is capable of doing this. I really don't want this to get any Rock or Ice moves (I would say no Electric moves, but all Ghosts get TBolt).
Based on a lot of the designs in the art thread, I was assuming the elemental punches might be up for discussion. With Hitmonchan and Dusknoir getting all three, it made sense to me. I hadn't really thought about how that would affect the possible counters. I agree that Gliscor should counter this thing well. OTOH, I think we need ice moves on everything in the world. With all the spamming of near-broken dragons (Garchomp and SpecsMence come to mind), I think we should sprinkle a little ice on every poke in the dex. (I'm only half-serious)....

I would like the physical walls to stand up to this guy. That means an ice move would really cause trouble for Gliscor and Hippowdon. With that in mind, I guess ice moves should be carefully debated before being thrown on it.

Fishin, you are actually someone I would consider for this job. It's just after including everyone who has been active throughout this poll and the last I am left with one slot (I forgot Eric the Espeon but am about to add him in). I really don't want any more than ten options. If no one else stands out, I'll give you the priviledge, but I might be forgetting a more active member.
Ah, thanks. I know I haven't been as active on these polls as many of the other members, so it's not a big deal. The spread I like most at the moment is actually rhykune's, as I'd prefer to see something that can make use of it's speed (being able to reach 270 with a +nature would be nice for a bulk up set). I might still come up with my own, though.

I'm somewhat hesitant on Ice Punch, as that would allow it to beat two of it's most obvious counters. Stone Edge might be a viable replacement (lots of fighters get it, certainly).

Based on a lot of the designs in the art thread, I was assuming the elemental punches might be up for discussion. With Hitmonchan and Dusknoir getting all three, it made sense to me. I hadn't really thought about how that would affect the possible counters. I agree that Gliscor should counter this thing well. OTOH, I think we need ice moves on everything in the world. With all the spamming of near-broken dragons (Garchomp and SpecsMence come to mind), I think we should sprinkle a little ice on every poke in the dex. (I'm only half-serious)....

I would like the physical walls to stand up to this guy. That means an ice move would really cause trouble for Gliscor and Hippowdon. With that in mind, I guess ice moves should be carefully debated before being thrown on it.
Ah, thanks. I know I haven't been as active on these polls as many of the other members, so it's not a big deal. The spread I like most at the moment is actually rhykune's, as I'd prefer to see something that can make use of it's speed (being able to reach 270 with a +nature would be nice for a bulk up set). I might still come up with my own, though.

I'm somewhat hesitant on Ice Punch, as that would allow it to beat two of it's most obvious counters. Stone Edge might be a viable replacement (lots of fighters get it, certainly).
I'm glad you guys see how overpowering Ice moves would be. I'm still a little iffy on Stone Edge though. It's a Fighting staple, but would severely hurt Flyers trying to counter this. Stone Edge might not get much use on a Bulk Up, but else where, it would cause a lot of problems.

And Fishin, I agree, Rhykune's spread seems pretty amazing.

For Gliscor/Zapdos, Roost will drop the Ice/Rock weak in return losing the Fight resist. For those two, it is probably manageable. And the Hippo would take less from an Ice Punch than a STAB Close Combat.

Unless you aren't going to give it Hidden Power, HP Ice is better than Ice Punch for most of the physical wall counters due to their worse SDef.

For Gliscor/Zapdos, Roost will drop the Ice/Rock weak in return losing the Fight resist. For those two, it is probably manageable. And the Hippo would take less from an Ice Punch than a STAB Close Combat.

Unless you aren't going to give it Hidden Power, HP Ice is better than Ice Punch for most of the physical wall counters due to their worse SDef.
Except for the fact that this will have equally low SAtk? And Roost removing Fighting immunity is worse than losing the Ice/Rock weak. Forcing someone to Roost and then hitting them with an SE move is a very valid and useful strategy. And this won't be getting Close Combat, so that argument isn't very valid.

Don't forget that Icy Wind hits both opponents in Doubles. The singles metagame isn't the only thing that would be broken by this Pokémon. I highly recommend that Icy Wind not be included, lest this become more popular than Slaking (in Doubles, duh).

Don't forget that Icy Wind hits both opponents in Doubles. The singles metagame isn't the only thing that would be broken by this Pokémon. I highly recommend that Icy Wind not be included, lest this become more popular than Slaking (in Doubles, duh).
I could be wrong, but I don't think we're really taking doubles into consideration with these polls.

I'm glad you guys see how overpowering Ice moves would be. I'm still a little iffy on Stone Edge though. It's a Fighting staple, but would severely hurt Flyers trying to counter this. Stone Edge might not get much use on a Bulk Up, but else where, it would cause a lot of problems.
Rock Slide might work as a replacement. It's still a much better option than a neutral Shadow Claw against fliers (150 power vs 105), and there are a few pokemon that get Rock Slide but not Stone Edge, though I'm not sure if any of them are fighters.

We could discussion about possible moves and ability on this thing based on the entries shown in the art thread? I mean we were talking about how bad Icy Wind on it is lol

I don't know why so many people are doing this. THE END RESULT OF THE POLL WAS THAT THE POKEMON WILL HAVE GOOD DEF AND ATK!!!!!!!! That means the SpDef should be lower than Def. Other than that, it is fine.

I don't know why so many people are doing this. THE END RESULT OF THE POLL WAS THAT THE POKEMON WILL HAVE GOOD DEF AND ATK!!!!!!!! That means the SpDef should be lower than Def. Other than that, it is fine.
Gengar, please shut up now.

We said balanced defenses. They can lean which ever way they want.

Please shut up now.

Stats aren't all that matter. Though its SpD might be higher, he takes physical hits much better due to his excellent resists and immunities. He's weak to three types; Two are almost exclusively special, and one is half special (Togekiss) and half physical (Staraptor), with the special being more common than the physical.

Now, look at his resistances. Rock; An almost exclusively physical type. Fighting, an almost always physical type, doesn't affect him at all. Bug is seen most commonly on Heracross in the form of the physical Megahorn and on Scizor in the form of U-Turn/X-Scissor. On the special side. . . Yanmega, which has STAB Air Slash to hit this thing with anyway. Poison is almost never seen, and when it is, it's usually in the form of the special Sludge Bomb (a point to the opposite side, but whatever), and occasionally Poison Jab on Toxicroak or Muk.

As you can see, he will generally take physical hits better than special ones. Just like many other walls this gen (Skarmory, Gliscor, Bronzong come to mind), he needs to rely on resistances and immunities to take hits. Most of his are physical.

That's not to mention his much higher physical attack compared to his almost unusable SpA. And, although it doesn't matter, FSS's spread has 105 Atk/90 Def, which adds up to 195 on the physical side, compared to the 65 SpA/110 SpD that adds up to a mere 175, a full 20 points lower.

Make sure you know what you're talking about before you go making dumb statements like that one.

EDIT: Also, what Hyra said.

Gengar, please shut up now.

We said balanced defenses. They can lean which ever way they want.

Please shut up now.
Will our new Pokemon be Physical, Special, or Mixed (this applies to both attack and defense). You can vote different ways for each one if you really feel the need (ala Gallade).
Physical - 30 votes - 68.18%
Special - 8 votes - 18.18%
Mixed - 6 votes - 13.64%

According to that, there was no final result of MIXED defenses. The majority voted for Physical Def and Attack being the highest. I would know mixed didn't win, since I voted for Mixed.

I don't disrespect you, so you have no fucking right to tell me to shutup. I'm am posting exactly how the poll ended up. I think you are arrogant right at this moment. You are trying to control this poll way to much. You have authority here, but you are abusing it. 30 out of the 44 votes voted for Physical defenses and attacks. Mixed didn't even get 1/4 of the votes.

@Arrow: I am NOT making dumb statements. The above quote shows the results of the poll. How the hell can you say that we voted on mixed defenses? It clearly shows ~3/4 of the votes went to Defense and Attack. Not both or Sp.Def and Sp.Atk. I understand what you are saying about the resistances, but according to the poll, there should be more Def than SpDef. Skarmory, being a P.Wall, has high def. Base 140 is very high. Gliscor even has 125. Bronzong has 112. So, they are P.Walls with resistances indeed, but since they are P.Walls, they have high base def. I mean if a Magnezone came in with T-Bolt on Skarm he would die. My point is, the poll called for great Atk and Def. So the base stats for atk should be higher than SpAtk and def should be higher than SpDef. I am not saying significantly higher, Imm just saying it should be leaning on the defensive side in terms of stats. That is what the poll concluded.

EDIT: For a weird reason, my quote tags aren't working. w/e. The above italics are the results from last poll the second part of that poll.

If you went and looked at the posts, you would notice most of them said something along the lines of:

"Physical, but with balanced defenses"
Well, if it is that, then why not add it to the first page? I got yelled at for asking a question that was on the first page. So now I stick to the first page for all the results. If the nitty gritty details aren't on the first page, then most people will get lost and think just what is there.

If you went and looked at the posts, you would notice most of them said something along the lines of:

"Physical, but with balanced defenses"
this is what I was refering to. Most people didn't care about the defenses, as long as neither was horrible.

And Gengar, I do have the right to tell you to shut up when you are saying stuff that is false.

Well five pages later and my spread has been taken generally well... Do you mind if I submit it. I know I'm not special, but it was mostly accepted.

Well five pages later and my spread has been taken generally well... Do you mind if I submit it. I know I'm not special, but it was mostly accepted.

Well, Fishin said he prefered yours and I do too, so unless something better comes up, you should make it.

and at Gengar, I thought it would be apparent from the previous polls, especially since you were reading them. I'll guess I'll update the OP with it.

Well, Fishin said he prefered yours and I do too, so unless something better comes up, you should make it.

and at Gengar, I thought it would be apparent from the previous polls, especially since you were reading them. I'll guess I'll update the OP with it.
So should I PM it to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)