The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

Secret Bases prioritize Mega Evolution, regardless of moves.

Also, your new avatar is terrifying.
I know that both Secret Bases and the Vs Recorder will Mega Evolve the first 'mon they send out that can, but using Trick Room? Really?
Also, thanks for the comment about my avatar. It's actually the Hatbox Ghost from the Haunted Mansion.
It begs the question though of why the person thought it was a good idea to have Trick Room on a Diancie they wanted to Mega Evolve...
I actually know the person whose team it was. He's about 10 so well thought out movesets are not his strong point. He mostly just grabs legends and uses them blindly.

Secret Base Trainers going for electric type attacks on my Mega Gyarados when I'm pretty sure they carry stronger Grass attacks.

Secret Base Trainers going for electric type attacks on my Mega Gyarados when I'm pretty sure they carry stronger Grass attacks.
At least it's still Super Effective, so it's not as bad as other examples. Still odd though.

My thing? I went against Chatelaine Nita (Super Single version), and she led with her Scarf Landorus against my Aegislash. She, predictably, locked herself into Earth Power, so I switched into my Salamence. This is where the oddity comes in: she failed to switch, continuing to use an ineffective Earth Power against my Salamence as it Mega Evolved and got two Dragon Dances up. Nita only switched as I got a Sub up.
What the freaking hell? She basically let me sweep her team. I would've thought Battle 50 Chatelaine AI would be better than that, but apparently not. Hm.

I've been going through Super Doubles lately and I've noticed a pattern: every single Poliwrath has Focus Punch. In Doubles. Where I can attack twice. Long story short, it has never actually attacked me.

At least it's still Super Effective, so it's not as bad as other examples. Still odd though.

My thing? I went against Chatelaine Nita (Super Single version), and she led with her Scarf Landorus against my Aegislash. She, predictably, locked herself into Earth Power, so I switched into my Salamence. This is where the oddity comes in: she failed to switch, continuing to use an ineffective Earth Power against my Salamence as it Mega Evolved and got two Dragon Dances up. Nita only switched as I got a Sub up.
What the freaking hell? She basically let me sweep her team. I would've thought Battle 50 Chatelaine AI would be better than that, but apparently not. Hm.
Hold on, I thought the AI was supposed to switch if it literally could not touch you. Maybe it doesn't take Choice locking into account.

Let's not forget trying to status things that already have statuses. That's always funny.

Particularly when something's asleep. You'd THINK the AI would check for a status before trying to apply one, but nah, why should it?

Okay, so I have a Swampert and the AI sends out a Roserade. Of course, I predict a Grass-type move and I switch to my Sap Sipper Goodra and I simply absorb the Leaf Storm. That's not the dumb part. The dumb part was the opposing Roserade to try using Sleep Powder on a Pokémon it knows to have Sap Sipper.

Okay, are we allowed to hate on Mystery Dungeon AI? Because if that's the case, then it gets the award for stupidest AI ever, particularly the Explorers of time/darkness/sky AI. Even high level AI bosses screw up many times. A recent playthrough of Darkness, fighting dialga. I am a fire type, dialga has ancientpower. Tell me, after using ancientpower once, WHY would it then decide that METAL CLAW is a better choice? And let's not forget your so-called "partner" staring off into space despite having moves that could help you while you get your butt kicked. As well as not undertanding even the basics of the type chart(my partner decides to use Take Down on Ghost types, instead of y'know, the Surf HM I taught it. That had full PP)

So, I'm replaying Black with a non-Unovan starter Pokémon just for fun. I'm going through Route 2 when I fight this trainer with a Lillipup. He uses Odor Sleuth on my starter. My starter's a Miltank.

Okay, are we allowed to hate on Mystery Dungeon AI? Because if that's the case, then it gets the award for stupidest AI ever, particularly the Explorers of time/darkness/sky AI. Even high level AI bosses screw up many times. A recent playthrough of Darkness, fighting dialga. I am a fire type, dialga has ancientpower. Tell me, after using ancientpower once, WHY would it then decide that METAL CLAW is a better choice? And let's not forget your so-called "partner" staring off into space despite having moves that could help you while you get your butt kicked. As well as not undertanding even the basics of the type chart(my partner decides to use Take Down on Ghost types, instead of y'know, the Surf HM I taught it. That had full PP)
Eh, I don't think that's very fair, considering that the RNG determines practically everything they do. Your partner is only set to attack every turn when right next to the target; otherwise, they roll a d4 and see what move slot shows, and do nothing if the move cannot possibly do anything.
As for Dialga using Metal Claw, the AI in EVERY Mystery Dungeon game blows off type matchups; even the IQ skills that would help can only see that Dialga has a Rock-type move, thus it attacked you instead of your partner. It has to go through the same crud every other Pokemon goes through, rolling to see what to use.

You're pretty lucky it didn't RoT you, by the way. That would've done much more damage as a whole, even with type matchups.

So, I'm replaying Black with a non-Unovan starter Pokémon just for fun. I'm going through Route 2 when I fight this trainer with a Lillipup. He uses Odor Sleuth on my starter. My starter's a Miltank.
Clearly he wants to make sure the shit accuracy of Leer won't let him down once you build up those Double Team boosts.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
In the Battle Mansion, the AI loves to use Trick Room, but doesn't seem to realize that you don't want to use two multiple times. (For those who don't know, using Trick Room while it's in affect cancels it out.) It's not uncommon to see it used two turns in a row, but the most face palm worthy moment was in a Triple Battle. The opponent's Slowbro used Trick Room and their Slowking used it, not on the turn after, but on the same turn. With two turns in a row, there's a brief "Oh crap" moment for the player in the middle, but twice on the same turn? I'd say double Splash is better that double Trick Room because Splash doesn't have reduced priority.

Playing AS, Mt Chimney Aqua Grunt vs my Skarmory.
The opposing Grimer used Minimize!
Team Aqua Grunt withdrew Grimer!
That's a programming quirk. The AI will switch if it literally cannot touch you, but it does so only once it literally cannot do anything--not impractical, but impossible. So it boosted its evasion to +6, at which point it was completely incapable of acting against your Skarmory, and so it got the hell out of there.

In the Battle Mansion, the AI loves to use Trick Room, but doesn't seem to realize that you don't want to use two multiple times. (For those who don't know, using Trick Room while it's in affect cancels it out.) It's not uncommon to see it used two turns in a row, but the most face palm worthy moment was in a Triple Battle. The opponent's Slowbro used Trick Room and their Slowking used it, not on the turn after, but on the same turn. With two turns in a row, there's a brief "Oh crap" moment for the player in the middle, but twice on the same turn? I'd say double Splash is better that double Trick Room because Splash doesn't have reduced priority.
Just happened to me too.

Doing the Super Triples Battle Maison, the AI's Dusknoir uses Trick Room. And then the AI's Slowbro immediately also uses Trick Room, canceling the effect.

What?

I'm mean, it could be a programming quirk where each pokemon's move is selected individually as the best for the situation and doesn't factor in teammates at all...

But seriously, what?!

Can't think of the dumbest, but I can think of the smartest play the AI has ever done.

I'm in Platinum fighting some Pokemon collector. I have Empoleon (iirc) out, he has Flareon. I go for Surf, he predicts and goes into Vaporeon. I'm already like what. Anyway, I go into Roselia AS HE DOUBLES BACK INTO FLAREON. Just wow.

After that I did end up beating him, but it was so cool

The trainer AI for Gen 4 has always been decently intelligent(for AI). I've had several times where it's switched into a resist/immunity.

If there was ever a topic to bump back into the realm of the living, it's this one. And this is a doozy of a story.
So I'm playing X and I encounter the first trainer right after Santalune Forest. They are using Azurill. The first attack was a Water Gun, which is perfectly fine. The second? SPLASH. I saw an AI trainer use Splash when it could have used Water Gun. Wow.

If there was ever a topic to bump back into the realm of the living, it's this one. And this is a doozy of a story.
So I'm playing X and I encounter the first trainer right after Santalune Forest. They are using Azurill. The first attack was a Water Gun, which is perfectly fine. The second? SPLASH. I saw an AI trainer use Splash when it could have used Water Gun. Wow.
That's actually brilliant, though. Isn't that the first forest with children? Maybe they are as clueless in battle as... well, children.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)