Sports NBA Thread: 2023-2024 Season

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I don’t know how many seasons this has been happening for now, but this is what I’d imagine locker room conversations look like when discussing the incredible lack of defense in the league

IMG_4446.jpeg

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
I don’t know how many seasons this has been happening for now, but this is what I’d imagine locker room conversations look like when discussing the incredible lack of defense in the league

View attachment 585812
Steph Curry revolutionized the game, the 3 pointer is the most important aspect of most basketball games, who makes more threes or at least if you're not shooting a lot you have to be shooting a better percent.

That ultimately depends on your team's 3-point defense as much as their ability to make them. The Lakers and Bucks for example are teams that won championships by the strength of 3-point defense.

Edit: I actually kinda want to add more context because I think the importance of the three point line today is an underrated topic.

Curry and Klay are the most prolific 3-point scoring combo in history. The math game is insanely off the charts in effiency thanks to their pace and passing with Draymond. It is almost entirely indefensible save for the Thunder the year they had one of the best defensive frontcourts in Ibaka, Durant, and Roberson and LeBron with 3 & D wings. Oh, and we can't forget the Raptprs. Kawhi, Ibaka, Gasol, and Lowry is as good as it gets defensively together along with a high IQ coach. Other than that, no other team in the league is able to stop those two without both athletic gifted wings and big men.

The formula after Golden State put the NBA in immediate parity. They'd win again, but there's been a different champion since Durant's departure. Lakers and Bucks share a focus on 3-point defense in two similar ways.

Bucks had Lopez in the paint, Giannis as free safety, Holidae at the point of contact, and Middleton is simply an additional plus-defender who can score from outside. They were challenged offensively at times, but their ability to defend three-point shooting together was championship stuff.

Lakers had AD who is already known for his outstanding paint defense, along with LeBron as a free safety with his IQ, Caruso at the point of attack, and Caldwell-Pope played the plus-defender who can shoot role similar to Middleton. Again, this team was extremely offensively challenged at times, but they had a great combination of IQ, length, and hustle to defend the perimeter at a high level. You don't beat the Rockets with Harden that year any other way.

The league has trended in a direction where there's high variance around the three-point line. Will we ever get another repeat? Denver might be who you may want to bet on since it's similar to the passing, flowing, and shooting of Golden State simply from a different position. Instead of the guard being a scoring and assist machine, it's your center.

Last edited:
I couldn't believe it when I heard that six (!) teams this year have an offensive rating higher than Sacramento's highest of all time last season (Indiana, Boston, Milwaukee, Philly, OKC, and Atlanta).

awyp

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader

awyp

RMT Leader
Damn the Trailblazers got decimated yesterday. After 3 quarters they only scored 56 points lmfao

Unfortunate does not even begin to describe that franchise rip
blazers have a better record than the pistons, spurs and wizards can you believe that ???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)