Other OU Teambuilding Competition Round 5 [Entries OPEN See Post #294]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Reuniclus (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 164 HP / 92 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Bisharp (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Knock Off

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Balance slow team around Reuniclus OTR + Mega-Heracross, Reuniclus is key against more offensive teams with Hidden Power Fire lures Genesect/Scizor. Sub Focus Punch Mega Heracross is key to break another balance and stall teams because the rest of the team lacks of potential to break more defensive teams. Landorus-T is the Stealth Rock user of the team core with pivot Rotom-W like defensive bulky core kinda standard, Bisharp AV helps to check stuff like Latios, Latios or Kyurem-B, also kill with Pursuit Aegislash which walls Mega-Heracross and Reuniclus, finally Latios the defogger of the team, another water resist to check stuff like Keldeo, Manaphy or Thundurus.
I don't have time to individually comment on every team, but this team definitely caught my interest. I really like how you innovated with both Reuniclus and Mega Heracross; HP Fire is an amazing lure because 99% of the time they're always going to switch in their Genesect or Scizor to revenge kill you, and Sub Punch Mega Heracross is extremely powerful, capable of setting up on most defensive Pokemon and just smashing through teams like butter. It really helps wear down both defensive and opposing balanced teams that this team would otherwise struggle to break through. Both Landorus-T and Bisharp are great partners because they provide the team with a solid check to Aegislash which Sub Punch Hera nor Reuniclus can really break through, and with the lack of Shadow Ball to make way for HP Fire, Bisharp helps alleviate that problem by trapping and eliminating bulky Psychic-types such as Latias and Latios. It can also break through bulky Fairies that wall the offensive core. Defensive Rotom-W keeps Belly Drum Azumarill, arguably the biggest threat to this team, in check, as well as providing you with a mandatory Mega Pinsir and Talonflame counter. Last but not least, Latios is a great check to key top tier threats and removing hazards which could potentially wear down your Volt-turn core and Mega Heracross.

Overall amazing team man, you did a great job in showcasing the true power of that core. Keep up the good work guys, there's other great teams as well!

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
OK, I've made my team and tested it out, and I think it's ready to be posted. So...

-->

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
-Earthquake

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 Def / 12 Spd / 252 HP
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

As I said earlier, the point of this team is to use 4 defensive Pokemon to remove Reuniclus' and Heracross' checks and counters. To start with, I decided to have Reuniclus be a standard OTR Reuniclus. Strong STAB, perfect coverage, and Magic Guard combine to make it very fearful. The EVs help it with bulk and attack. Next, I decided I wanted a defensive 'mon who likes Trick Room. Although I'm not building a TR team, I don't want anyone to rely on their speed, as anyone could be battling under TR conditions. I chose Ferrothorn for SR, great defenses (resisting Heracross' Fairy and Psychic weaknesses) and Gyro Ball. I chose AV Tyranitar because it is an awesome special wall, especially in the sand, resists the all-important Flying, as well as Fire, Dark, and Ghost, is immune to Psychic, and can deal good damage. I switched Rock Slide with Stone Edge, as the accuracy drop isn't that large, and the power boost is very noticeable. Heracross is a standard Mega Heracross, and with the highest attack stat in OU, can do tons of damage. Earthquake is mostly there to deal with Aegislash. Rotom-W supplys another Flying and Fire resistance, counters Talonflame, who is a problem for both Reuniclus and Heracross, is a good lead with Volt Switch, and can stop most physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp. Sylveon is a great cleric who can pass a large wish, and also resists Bug. Many team members have 0 Atk IVs to deal with Foul Play, and Sylveon was chosen over Florges because of a much stronger STAB move and a larger wish.

If you want to comment on my team, pleas offer an opinion about whether Tyranitar should have Rock Slide or Stone Edge, and whether Heracross should have Swords Dance or Earthquake. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Reuniclus (F) @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Knock Off

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Balance slow team around Reuniclus OTR + Mega-Heracross, Reuniclus is key against more offensive teams with Hidden Power Fire lures Genesect/Scizor. Sub Focus Punch Mega Heracross is key to break another balance and stall teams because the rest of the team lacks of potential to break more defensive teams. Landorus-T is the Stealth Rock user of the team core with pivot Rotom-W like defensive bulky core kinda standard, Bisharp AV helps to check stuff like Latios, Latios or Kyurem-B, also kill with Pursuit Aegislash which walls Mega-Heracross and Reuniclus, finally Latios the defogger of the team, another water resist to check stuff like Keldeo, Manaphy or Thundurus.
After getting a look to your team, it's true it is quite efficient to manage threats i have worries to. Thanks to the landorus/rotom core u can check about every physical threats as dragon dancers or azumarill. More over i tested the substitue+focus punch set for heracross and i loved it.
However the bisharp set is surprising me, yes it becomes bulkier to manage threats as latios/latias and avoid the 2HKO by LO sets. But in the other hand it becomes weaker against aegislash by lacking the OHKO on it*. i'm not sure this is a good idea since it can hit back thanks to sacred sword and be anoying for both reuniclus and heracross.
*252+ Atk Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 236-282 (72.8 - 87%)

Edit: Mega gyarados is the biggest issue for that team as when it gets one dance only heracross can take a hit without dying instantly

Last edited:

Dread Arceus

total cockhead

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Night Shade

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Trick
- Thunder Wave

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SDef
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Defog
- Roost
- Foul Play

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

As everybody taking the challenge has done, I started with the core of Reuniclus + Mega Heracross. While the duo just screams OTR, it's my personal belief that Mega Heracross should work more as a wallbreaker first, bulky sweeper second. So, I decided to make the team bulky offense. Following that decision, I made Reuniclus the CM variant (to make it a special sweeper, if need be) and Mega Heracross an all-out attacker. For Mega Hera's moves, the set I choose lets it beat Aegislash in exchange for losing some power against bulky waters. Anyways, as for the next step in my team, I knew that in order to successfully employ bulky offense, it's best to be able to spread status, as well as sponge some hits. For that, I chose Dusclops, due to its retarded bulk, which gives it a high chance of spreading burns. It can also take hits from special attackers very well. Next, I decided to expand on the core. While Reuniclus benefits somewhat from Mega Heracross, Mega Hera gains very little from Reun, as it only resists one typing that Hera's weak to defensively, and kills almost nothing that Hera needs killed. So, I chose Rotom-H, who is a master at bringing down Flying types. The main reason I decided H over W is because it allows for a Fairy switch-in, which the team otherwise has trouble with. Trick Scarf is my favorite set on it, as it can mess with Mega Pinsir, Genesect, Mega Lucario, and any Talonflames that try to U-turn out. It also cripples walls (ideally Sylveon, Togekiss, or ugh Chansey). Next, since a part of the new core was weak to Rock, I decided to pick up Mandibuzz. Mandibuzz can defog to get rid of rocks, punish physical set-up sweepers via Foul Play, and most importantly, it can beat Aegislash, who the team would otherwise be quite weak to. Finally, I wanted an offensive Rock setter, so I turned to Tyranitar. Tyranitar works well with much of the team, as it can set rocks to get rid of those pesky Flying-types, and can Pursuit trap Psychic and Ghost types. To top all that, it has the always-solid Edgequake coverage.
The goal while playing with this is basically to destroy your enemy over time, mainly by getting Mega Heracross out and having it inflict massive damage. Use status to help it get out more.

The only problem I've found with OTR when testing was Conkeldurr still was 'slower' than Mega Heracross, meaning Hera was constantly moving second. Drain punch might not have hurt terribly much, but the damage is still more than you want to take. And a fire punch conkeldurr is absolutely frightening. In theory, Reuniculus can take care of Conkeldurr, but realistically this is not the case. Knock off causes too much damage. For the teams running OTR, I'm interested to see how they solve it, giving that if it gets in clean, even the constant on every team that should counter fights (reun) is getting 2hko.

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 192 HP / 64 Def Reuniclus: 286-338 (69.9 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(Just using Mowtom's set since it's on this page and OTR).

This means, as a check, it is either taking too much damage to set TR before the next pokemon comes in to stop it (-7 prio bracket?) or set up a TR that most teams will let Conk have the advantage in. Realistically, Conkeldurr is the deadliest threat to any TR team in the meta, so it probably needs to be added to the standard Talonflame/Pinsir-mega/Aegislash/Genesect as a threat.

The only mons i see able to counter Conkeldur in an OTR are Mega-Mawile (but heracross is already here) and azumaril. The last one can literaly abuse the trick room phase, and can take profit of conkeldur to set up with bellydrum.

Heracross (M) @ Heracronite
Trait: Moxie
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake

Reuniclus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Conkeldurr (M) @ Assault Vest
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 Def / 248 SDef
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Scizor (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast

Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

In all honesty ... I never realized what a f*ckin' monster Mega Heracross was until I decided to participate in this. Skill Link = Broken = OP = Meta-Game Change

Mega Heracross is the wall-breaker of the team and it does a fantastic job at it. Very few can safely switch in on any of Mega Heracross's four moves due to the sheer power behind Close Combat, Pin Missile and Rock Blast.

Reuniclus hasn't really shined so far as of yet but it's my only real answer to stall teams so it definitely has its place on the team.

Conkeldurr was the first pick due to its ability to absorb Will O Wisp (something Heracross hates) and pretty much destroy Landorus-T and Gliscor with Ice Punch. It just so happens that Conkeldurr is my Water Type Answer as well. Despite Conkeldurr lacking any resists, Assault Vest makes it too bulky.
For example:
252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 248 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 124-147 (35.3 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Conkeldurr can easily eat it up and proceed to Drain Punch at it.
Despite all this, Strong Water Types are a major threat to this team archetype and so I can see Drizzle teams being a huge problem.

Scizor was next. Choice Scarf to be exact lol. A fast and powerful U-Turn can surprise KO Pokemon such as Lati@s and Starmie while Iron Head really leaves a mark on Fairy Type Pokemon. Superpower helps me eliminate things like Bisharp and Lucario while Pursuit is ... idk tbh lol. Trap Gengar I guess?

Tyranitar helps the team keep Talonflame in check who would otherwise have a play day with this team. Tyranitar lures in the likes of Skarmory, Scizor, Ferrothorn and Bisharp so Fire Blast is a great answer for them.

Landorus-Therian sets up Stealth Rock and acts as a solid offensive pivot, being able to tank Physical hits when necessary.

Decide to go for a full on Trick Room team with a Defensive Trick Room Reuniclus along with Nasty Plot Cofagrigus, Specs Exploud, DTR Porygon2 with Azumarill and the required Mega-Heracross.

Heracross @ Heracronite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
IVs: 2 Spd
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Future Sight
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Focus Blast

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Focus Blast

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 2 Spd
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Shadow Ball

Azumarill @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

Mega Heracross: Mega-Heracross as Trick Room sweeper is an idea that has crossed my mind many times as he has great coverage and is amazingly powerful. The fear I had about Heracross was flying priority especially Talonflame whose Brave Bird could stop Heracross cold. Heracross' greatness lies his ability to threaten out some many common OU mons and break bulky steels and rocks who wall Exploud's sweeps. The two Speed Ivs and non-negative nature allow Heracross to outspeed Aegislash outside of Trick Room and outslow inside of Trick Room which is helpful to keep Aegislash damage to a minimum.

Porygon2: While not very creative Porygon2 always fills the role of Trick Room setter well. Trace is an excellent ability and keeps Gliscor from Toxic Stalling the crap of this team by Tracing Poison Heal. Porygon's utility as a catch-all special wall for Trick Room teams when invested makes him an invaluable member of this team.

Azumarill: Azumarill complements Mega-Heracross to form this teams offensive core with Azu tanking fire moves for Heracross and generally being very bulky. Life Orb is an unfortunate item to have to use on Azumarill but I needed a way to boost its power without sacrificing coverage because in Trick Room sweeps coverage is very important and choice items are not IMO viable at all (unless ofc you're Exploud). Azumarill also draws in bulky steels to wall it which heracross then switches into and takes care of which is vital to a late-game Exploud Sweep.

Cofagrigus: Cofagrigus functions as my boosting sweeper and as a good physical wall and special sweeper with its Trick Room + Nasty Plot set. Cofagrigus counters Talonflame in Trick Room by tanking a Brave Bird and then because Talonflame becomes mummy allow me to KO it with a Shadow Ball.

Reuniclus: I'll admit this is a VERY strange set for Reuniclus to run but I personally find Future Sight to be underrated especially as a way to keep counters out. By future sighting and then switching to Heracross I am able to deter pokemon like Talonflame from switching into Heracross allowing it to pull of a small Trick Room sweep even when Talonflame is alive. Focus Blast hits pokemon that pose a threat to Reuniclus for SE damage while I ignore ghost type coverage all of them but Aegislash are easily taken care of by p2's special bulk, and Aegislash (usually) dies to Heracross.

Exploud: Exploud is IMO the best late-game Trick Room cleaner as Scrappy + Boomburst has excellent neutral coverage and hits incredibly hard with specs. If I can get him in undamaged in the early game he still functions incredibly well. The other moves are for show I pretty much exclusively use Boomburst.

Sorry this explanation is so long but I had a lot to explain with this team.

im surprised there isnt like a scolipede on any of these teams...I mean it might not be the best but if you dont want to go tr, a heracross with a double speed boost is the next best thing, which might open up more options, idk though just thinking

im surprised there isnt like a scolipede on any of these teams...I mean it might not be the best but if you dont want to go tr, a heracross with a double speed boost is the next best thing, which might open up more options, idk though just thinking
I also thought about scolipede, i imagined being able to pass a +2 speed and +2 Atk to heracross (gg it's over). But in fact, talonflamme and pinsir loves come in scolipede, then you can't Bpass on heracross and make the team twice weaker against fly priority moves than it was without scolipede.

That is why i put zapdos in my team as it could pass a tailwing and check pinsir and talonflamme.

The typing is so redundant and they share too similar weaknesses. Really, I looked at the team as one that needed to take care of major tiered threats first and then get the speed up to par second. Speed is incredibly important to hera, as even with that fantastic bulk, he still has to attack. However, he simply doesn't sweep even if you Twave everything/outspeed everything. Pinsir-mega and TF wait to take care of Hera everywhere, as stated.

I am a tad surprised we haven't seen more Bisharp check/counters. It really is a pain to deal with if Hera is your endgame and you have to save him until then. Plus, Bisharp SHOULD outspeed.

yeah, bisharp could be anoying as it OHKO every set of Reuniclus, Heracross and take some knock off but it does not appreciate an iron head :
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 192 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 231-273 (66.1 - 78.2%)
But i i believe it can be managed by switching beetween Heracross and some bulky defensive as Rotom-w or Zapdos.

OK, I've made my team and tested it out, and I think it's ready to be posted. So...

-->

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 Def / 12 Spd / 252 HP
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

As I said earlier, the point of this team is to use 4 defensive Pokemon to remove Reuniclus' and Heracross' checks and counters. To start with, I decided to have Reuniclus be a standard OTR Reuniclus. Strong STAB, perfect coverage, and Magic Guard combine to make it very fearful. The EVs help it with bulk and attack. Next, I decided I wanted a defensive 'mon who likes Trick Room. Although I'm not building a TR team, I don't want anyone to rely on their speed, as anyone could be battling under TR conditions. I chose Ferrothorn for SR, great defenses (resisting Heracross' Fairy and Psychic weaknesses) and Gyro Ball. I chose AV Tyranitar because it is an awesome special wall, especially in the sand, resists the all-important Flying, as well as Fire, Dark, and Ghost, is immune to Psychic, and can deal good damage. I'm contemplating switching Rock Slide with Stone Edge, as the accuracy drop isn't that large, and the power boost is very noticeable. Heracross is a standard Mega Heracross, and with the highest attack stat in OU, can do tons of damage. I think Swords Dance is better than Earthquake, as Reuniclus, Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, and Rotom-W can all semi-reliably deal with Aegislash. Rotom-W supplys another Flying and Fire resistance, counters Talonflame, who is a problem for both Reuniclus and Heracross, is a good lead with Volt Switch, and can stop most physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp. Sylveon is a great cleric who can pass a large wish, and also resists Bug. Many team members have 0 Atk IVs to deal with Foul Play, and Sylveon was chosen over Florges because of a much stronger STAB move and a larger wish.

If you want to comment on my team, pleas offer an opinion about whether Tyranitar should have Rock Slide or Stone Edge, and whether Heracross should have Swords Dance or Earthquake. Thanks in advance!
Well, i took a look at your team, about tyranitar, i think stone egde should be prefered here because tyranitar is quite slow to take profit the flinch hax, moreover with no evs in Atk it will need power to make a bit damage against pokemon which don't have a x4 rock weakness. About Heracross, earthquake will be mandatory as u have no real other answer to aegislash.
Anyway i noticed a huge weakness against Charizard-Y as it can nearly OHKO all your team :
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Reuniclus in Sun: 360-424 (88 - 103.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 292-348 (72.2 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon in Sun: 252-297 (63.9 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 288-340 (94.7 - 111.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You will need to fix that

Edited calc with considering assaut vest :
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 196-232 (48.5 - 57.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Reuniclus (F) @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Knock Off

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

After using this team for a few games, i have to say that SubPunch Mega Heracross is inferior to all out attacking Mega Heracross, especially on this team, and here is why. First, getting countered by Aegislash when you could just 2HKO with Earthquake sucks, especially when you don't have a counter to it. Yeah, Bisharp and Lando-T can check it and even Pursuit trap it, but Aegislash can OHKO Bisharp and 2HKO Lando-T, so they can't switch in easily. Not to mention that Mega Heracross is mostly useful in early-game, where it will be unable to do any damage with Aegislash on the opposing team. Second, Lando-T is everywhere and one of the most common switch-ins to Landorus-T. Sub doesn't shield you against it as switching takes priority over Sub, so it still cripples you with Intimidate, while breaking your Sub with Stone Edge. Why waste 25% of your health when you could just hit it with Rock Blast on the switch and 2HKO it later? Third, Mega Heracross can act as a check to certain offensive Pokemon such as Excadrill, Mega Mawile, Kyurem-B, Terrakion, and Bisharp. You see, Mega Heracross can take a hit from all those Pokemon if the need arises and OHKO back or deal like ~80 damage back with Close Combat (not many offensive Pokemon can take a +2 Sucker Punch from Bisharp and Mega Mawile). However, with Focus Punch you can't OHKO them back while they all 2HKO. In fact, against Mega Mawile you can do nothing with SubPunch, while you can deal 76.3 - 90.1% with Close Combat to 252 HP Mega Mawile. For all those reasons, Close Combat + EQ >>> SubPunch.

Also, you should put enough Speed on Mega Heracross to outrun Adamant max Speed Bisharp, so you can OHKO it while being able to take one +2 LO Sucker Punch, otherwise it can just OHKO with +2 LO Iron Head. And needless to say, Bisharp is a huge threat to your team.

Other than that, this is an ok team with the given combo. However Reuniclus is usually a liability, as it provides zero defensive synergy and only rarely manages to sweep late-game. The most useful thing it can do is take a hit from an offensive Pokemon, OHKO back, and serve as death fodder after. I feel that OTR Slowbro would be a much better option on that slot, as it would be able to provide things defensively to the team while still being a decent late-game cleaner and supporting Mega Heracross with Trick Room.

After using this team for a few games, i have to say that SubPunch Mega Heracross is inferior to all out attacking Mega Heracross, especially on this team, and here is why. First, getting countered by Aegislash when you could just 2HKO with Earthquake sucks, especially when you don't have a counter to it. Yeah, Bisharp and Lando-T can check it and even Pursuit trap it, but Aegislash can OHKO Bisharp and 2HKO Lando-T, so they can't switch in easily. Not to mention that Mega Heracross is mostly useful in early-game, where it will be unable to do any damage with Aegislash on the opposing team. Second, Lando-T is everywhere and one of the most common switch-ins to Landorus-T. Sub doesn't shield you against it as switching takes priority over Sub, so it still cripples you with Intimidate, while breaking your Sub with Stone Edge. Why waste 25% of your health when you could just hit it with Rock Blast on the switch and 2HKO it later? Third, Mega Heracross can act as a check to certain offensive Pokemon such as Excadrill, Mega Mawile, Kyurem-B, Terrakion, and Bisharp. You see, Mega Heracross can take a hit from all those Pokemon if the need arises and OHKO back or deal like ~80 damage back with Close Combat (not many offensive Pokemon can take a +2 Sucker Punch from Bisharp and Mega Mawile). However, with Focus Punch you can't OHKO them back while they all 2HKO. In fact, against Mega Mawile you can do nothing with SubPunch, while you can deal 76.3 - 90.1% with Close Combat to 252 HP Mega Mawile. For all those reasons, Close Combat + EQ >>> SubPunch.

Also, you should put enough Speed on Mega Heracross to outrun Adamant max Speed Bisharp, so you can OHKO it while being able to take one +2 LO Sucker Punch, otherwise it can just OHKO with +2 LO Iron Head. And needless to say, Bisharp is a huge threat to your team.

Other than that, this is an ok team with the given combo. However Reuniclus is usually a liability, as it provides zero defensive synergy and only rarely manages to sweep late-game. The most useful thing it can do is take a hit from an offensive Pokemon, OHKO back, and serve as death fodder after. I feel that OTR Slowbro would be a much better option on that slot, as it would be able to provide things defensively to the team while still being a decent late-game cleaner and supporting Mega Heracross with Trick Room.
I agree with the reuniclus thing but, the fact is we must have heracross+reuniclus

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

Heracross @ Heracronite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Serious Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile
- Swords Dance

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Toxic

Hydreigon (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell

So there are two ways I could sweep with Heracross: Trick room or thunder wave support. Unfortunately, covering threats in OU through balanced would require less psychics than TR wants and Reun had Twave access. I wanted to focus this team around equalizing threats through status. The issue then became opponent heal bells and Electric/Ground types. To counter electric types (and talonflame), I added Hippowdon. Pinsir-mega and ground type moves are countered Skarmory. Clefable/Reuniculus are a pivot MG core focusing on spreading TWaves. Hydregion comes in to counter bisharp and on predicted Shadow ball aegi turns (on predicted sacred sword turns, I can go into Hippowdon and then to Hydregion). General plan for lucario-mega is to Paralyze it through reuniculus as it sets up and then wreck it with hippowdon. Genesect is an issue, but I solve mixed special attackers mostly through Clefable and band through hippowdon/skarmory.

Mega Heracross is able to come in once I get most of the targets para'd and rotom/thundy-i removed. I remove rotom through Reun battling it and Thundyi falls to hippowdon's rock tomb. If I can, I try to slow the target through rock tomb before dying to produce an outspeed as Heracross comes in, instantly allowing me numerous options. Biggest threats are Thundy and rotom's statuses, so I try to fix that by Guts hera. If I come in and get destroyed prematurely, Clefable can cleric off the status. So that's just about the whole concept.
I liked that team for the original idea u get about playing around thunder wave and increase the sweeping possibilities for heracross by the way.
I wonder if a pokemon like Togekiss or Jirachi could be added ( instead of clefable for instance ) because they also get the ability to paralys ground types (thanks to body slam) and abuse of hax.
Because in fact, dangerous sweeper like landorus can't be paralys by your team and can 2HKO everything :

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 192 HP / 4 SpD Mega Heracross: 291-343 (83.3 - 98.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 298-352 (70.9 - 83.8%)
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Reuniclus: 261-308 (61.5 - 72.6%)
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 354-416 (89.8 - 105.5%)
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 442-520 (136 - 160%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I hope that could help you to improve your idea

Lando-i doesn't carry all of that, however. While it is deadly, I should have it locked because one move (generally sludge wave) is reserved for Hidden power ice. Anyways, checking my importable shows the reun set you have is wrong. I run max Sdef, so it's a bit easier than that.

Glad to see this is back. Hopefully it won't end up like it did last gen.
I don't like this core and don't have time to start liking it so not building a team, so just posting to say right now the only two teams that look usable to me are the ones by Hot N Cold and ratchet67. Leaning towards ratchet because Volc looks like a threat to almost all other teams.

Lando-i doesn't carry all of that, however. While it is deadly, I should have it locked because one move (generally sludge wave) is reserved for Hidden power ice. Anyways, checking my importable shows the reun set you have is wrong. I run max Sdef, so it's a bit easier than that.
Oh you're right about reuniclus, sorry about that. But the thing is even if it doesn't have sludge wave, it already can 2HKO clefable thanks to earthpower. And what i didn't say is the possibility it can use a calm mind set and kill 2/3 of your mons since you have no actual safe switch for it.

Here the corrected calcs :
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Reuniclus: 183-216 (43.1 - 50.9%)
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Reuniclus: 274-324 (64.6 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (with calm mind)
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 250-294 (63.4 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
U-Ralph

I think most of what you said is valid, and I made some changes. I disagree with your assessment of Charizard-Y, though. Even if your calcs were post-Assault Vest, Tyranitar still stops it. Focus Blast has a 49% chance of hitting twice in a row, and although I didn't do any calcs, I'm reasonably certain that Stone Edge OHKOs.

U-Ralph

I think most of what you said is valid, and I made some changes. I disagree with your assessment of Charizard-Y, though. Even if your calcs were post-Assault Vest, Tyranitar still stops it. Focus Blast has a 49% chance of hitting twice in a row, and although I didn't do any calcs, I'm reasonably certain that Stone Edge OHKOs.
Hmm, indeed i forgot to take assaut vest in consideration, this the new calc:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 196-232 (48.5 - 57.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

and just for fun ^^ :
4 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 684-808 (229.5 - 271.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Here tyranitar can effectively come on charizard (even if it predicted it with focus blast) and force the switch because of the lack of accuary.
But charizard-Y will stay an hude threat for you by puting tyranitar under pressure; you will need to play very carefuly against it

Here is my team!

Reuniclus (F) @ Flame Orb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Trick
- Recover
- Psychic
- Signal Beam

Umbreon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Snarl
- Protect

Cloyster (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 Atk
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Icicle Spear
- Toxic Spikes

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Grass Knot

Heracross-Mega (M) @ Heracronite
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Pin Missile
- Arm Thrust
- Rock Blast
- Rest

Garchomp (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage

This team defies the standard Trick Room where Reuniclus and Heracross-M must be used. Rather, it takes a different approach to speed control: Tailwind.

The team is broken into two definitive sections: a defensive core and an offensive core. They work in tandem with each other as needed.

Defensive Core:
Reuniclus- very different from Trick Room variants, this one spreads burns and removes items, serves as a tank, and can hit Greninja/Lati twins very hard on the switch in with Signal Beam.
Umbreon- the main special wall, cleric, and WishPasser. Umbreon is a great asset for sponging special attacks that don't come from Mega Lucario.
Cloyster- the lack of reliable recovery was a concern--that's why Umbreon was added. Unlike most Cloyster, this one sets hazards and spins. It has maximum physical defensive investment to tank physical attacks repeatedly.

Offensive core:
Tornadus-T: it has three very powerful attacks with great coverage off a huge special attack stat. Tailwind is the selling point, as it can allow Garchomp or Heracross-M to sweep with the added speed.
Heracross-M: This guy is a wall breaker with immense power on the physical end. Unless it gets burned, it will continue to hit everything hard, but then it can Rest off the burn.
Garchomp: This guy can lead and set up Stealth Rock; it depends on the matchup. However, I prefer to use it as a sweeper, ideally getting to +2 Atk and +1 Spe, removing priority users and Scarfers above Base 102, and then decimating everything. It's my designated cleaner meant to clean up the mess spilled by the other two attackers.

D'oh, very true. Crawdaunt, TTar, Reuniclus and Claydol are all bug weak while only Mega Heracross resists it and only TTar has SE STAB. However, Tyranitar can live a Bug Buzz or Flash Cannon and use Fire Blast on Gene, but U-Turn shenanigans would tear holes in this team. maybe if he's banned we can overlook it xD

Anyway the ideal fix would be Crawdaunt-->Azumarill but it's too late now, next week I won't make such a rookie mistake xD
I still applaud the use of Crawdaunt, and it has good synergy with the team. Maybe try a Life Orb over Choice Band here too.

Last edited:
Explorer, a few notes: CC is stronger than arm thrust. Also better vs Rocky helmet users such as skarm.

As a spinner/setter, I suggest looking into Forretress, if you haven't already.

Hey, Explorer, just wondering, why would you run Rest on Mega Heracross? I know you have cleric support, but it is a huge risk and if Umbreon can't get off the Heal Ball, then you're left with two turns of waste. It also wastes valuable Tailwind and TR Support. Also, on Mega Heracross, I'd consider running a spread of 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe, as you outspeed Genesect after Tailwind this way. I'd consider that spread, but you do lose a ton of bulk, so I understand that.

edited out mentions of genesect bans, sorry.

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just a heads up guys please don't take future bans into consideration for your teams. Round 1 should be treated as if Mega Luc, Gene, and Deo-S are all present in the meta, so there's no point in building a team that's incredibly weak to them or not using them for the possibility of them getting banned. In fact, you're hurting your team's chances for winning this round if you do that :/ Gene, Mega Luc, and Deo-S are OU just as much as Donphan, Espeon, and Cloyster are as of now.

For example Tabuu you told me earlier that Scarf Scizor was on your team simply because of the potential Gene ban, but there's not much of a reason to even consider running Scarf Scizor on that team, because Gene just fits that role so much better, and it's not banned so I don't really see a reason to not use it. You don't HAVE to change it, but it's highly recommended to make your team better fit for the current meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)